1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Shocks on My First Gen

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by J Secundus, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Mar 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    J Secundus

J Secundus [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Prerunner SR5 TRD Off-Road, Super White 2
    I'm looking to replace the shocks on my Taco. It's just over 91,000 miles and still running the OE shocks. They're not leaking or blown yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before at least one of them goes. I've also noticed my quality of ride has slowly slipped over the past two years or so.

So I'm looking for something to replace all four in the coming future, and I want to go with something that is going to give me a nice comfortable ride with good to great handling. Perusing old thread's I've seen the Bilstein 5100's constantly recommended. But seeing as I have no intention of adjusting the height of the suspension (up or down), and my off-roading is limited to non-existent, I want to double check if the 5100's would be the best option for quality ride and handling with a Taco that's almost exclusively road use, or if there's a better recommendation out there.

2. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    Mr.Bohannon

Mr.Bohannon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996 TRD 2.7
    Aisin Manual Hubs Bilstein 5100 K&N Drop in Undercover Tonneau
    Hey John, Welcome to TW! From what you have said, it sounds like the Bilstein 4600 shocks would be your best fit. You could get 5100's as you can just set them up at stock height, and if you ever do want to lift in the future you can. The ride from what i have heard is identical between the two, and the price is usually almost identical.

On a side note* Ive got a really close friend that lives up in Lancaster. He is one of the worship leaders at LCBC church in Manheim. I love the area, its absolutely beautiful up there!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top