1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Lift Questions (Looking for advice)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by KMitch, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    KMitch

KMitch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    So, like many, I've been all over the board with what I want to go with. Was going to go with the Icon's but since most of my offroad ventures tend to be on rocky terrain, I don't think I can justify the added cost of these since they really shine at higher speeds (desert runs, etc).

I'm thinking that the OME (885s) will be my best best. I just had the newest tsb done to eliminate the 0-15mph vibration (completely new leaf packs). Originally I was thinking of getting the spacers and Dakar rears for a full 3" as I do tow a 4k-5k camper (for the record, I towed it with the new leaf packs last weekend and there was no noticeable sag with my weight distribution hitch setup). Obviously if I went that route, I would be getting LR UCAs as well. That would roughly be ~$1750 plus an alignment.

Here is where my questions come in. Being that my leaf pack is new and I only tow every other weekend during the spring-fall, should I go with the Toytec 1.5" AAL? From my research, I would then have no need for the spacers or UCAs as I would be at ~2.5" of lift (which seems to be the cutoff for a properly aligned rig with stock UCAs) and the cost would drop down to ~$825. I could then replace with Dakars, spacers and UCAs when the stock leaf packs wear out.

Don't want to seem cheap here but by sitting about .5" lower, I can save $925 plus any alignment costs.

Any and all responses are encouraged.

Thanks

EDIT: Disregard the alignment part - I do realize I will need an alignment no matter what...just had a brain fart.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    KMitch

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    bump

3. Apr 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the OMEs up front will give pretty close to 3" which would require new UCAs. If not, you may still run into alignment problems. Leafs can also be removed from the Dakars to reduce lift/spring rate. If you feel the need to, you can add them back in the future. My rear leafs were pretty worn at 40k, so I just replaced everything while it was all apart anyhow. Seems like your question comes down to whether or not you want to front the cost now or later. What part of CO are you located in if you don't mind me asking?

4. Apr 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    KMitch

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I'm pretty sure that just the lift gives 2.5 and the spacers add the extra .5 for a total of 3 but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm in Littleton, how bout yourself? Lovely drive in this morning with this snow.

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    My experience with my last and current Toyota. If you have a 4x4 do not go any higher than 2.5in. or you will have do spend more money.
    That being said, I put 885's on my current truck with the blisteins set at zero. Got a little over 2.5in lift then it settled to 2.5 in. Then I did a 2.0 Deaver AAL on the rear stock leaf springs. Overall, it is level all around now. With the rear just slightly higher by 1/2 in.
    Rides nice, handles nice and I can load it down without flattening the springs. And NO VIBS!! and no allignment issues.

6. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    KMitch

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, that's why I was thinking of just sticking at 2.5 to save quite a bit of dough. So you would recommend going with the AAL? I'm thinking since it sits level while towing now that the AAL would be fine, even while towing.

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    The AAL in the rear will just give you more support over the long haul.

Tacoma OEM rear leafs are not that strong.

I had the TSB done on my 09 and still put an AAL on it too.

Once you toss 600-800 lbs in the back of these trucks with stock leafs, you can see the leafs flatten. The AAL or a whole new leaf pack will help alot.

Just my opinion.

It is a truck so it should ride and look like a truck since it will be used as a truck.

8. Apr 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Generally anything up to 3" is still in specs for UCA's, anything over would require upgrading...

Wow, 2014 & Toyota's leafsprings still TSB'ing along, good for me, bad for consumer....

9. Apr 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    KMitch

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Well it was more for the driveline vibration that's plagued the Taco for years, not necessarily because of strength.

10. Apr 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Ohhhh believe me , I'm all too aware of the weak saggy OEM springs toyota's been forcing on the public for at least 19 years

Products Discussed in

To Top