1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 rear suspension squeak

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hangman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    Hangman

Hangman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd sport
    Hi y'all. I just bought my first new vehicle a 2014 toyota tacoma trd sport 4x4 at the beginning of the year. At about 1300 miles a rear suspension squeak began to appear and after my 2700 mile trip to Florida has increased significantly. I have just at 4k miles on my truck now and the squeak is awful. When I was removing 25 pound luggage from the back seat the squeak could be heard. Every time anyone gets out of the truck you can hear the squeak and you can hear it very easily if you push down the bed of the truck. I'm not too impressed with this quality being my first new truck. Other than that I love the truck it's a lot quicker than my old ford f150. I should also note that rain or a car wash will make the squeak subside for the day. I looked up some stuff on older tacomas experiencing this but figured it would have been resolved by now. Should I take the truck in to have it fixed. I can't stand the squeak.

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    Yes, take it back to the dealer. Thats what a warranty is for.

3. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    First thing I would do is check u-bolts. They are notorious for being loose. Manual says 37 ft/lbs; it should be 75-80 ft/lbs.
    While I was down there I'd hit the hangers and shackles. And while I was doing that I would inspect the springs. Maybe look for missing grease or pads.
    You can also have a person bounce the bed while you start grabbing stuff to isolate it.

4. Apr 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    x2 pm the Ubolts being loose. I just did a AAL to my 2013 and they were not finger loose but they did not require ANY effort to loosen them. They were not squeeking and I never had the vibes before or after doing my lift....but they were loose.

5. Apr 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    GotExhaust

GotExhaust Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I would definitely check to make sure everything is tight, but it's more than likely just the leaf springs themselves. If there's any amount of dirt between the leaf pack, or on the anti-friction pads, they will make noise. When you go through the car wash or it rains, the water is providing just enough lubrication to keep everything from squeaking.

It's very common with brand new leaf springs that are very tightly packed together and also have a fresh coating of powder coat on them. I think once you put more miles on the truck, and the surfaces that are now rubbing sort of wear into each other, it will become less frequent.

In the meantime, you can remedy it by jacking up the rear of the truck and greasing the anti-friction pads. You will see circular rubber pads between each of the leaves, toward the ends. If you lift the rear and fully droop the suspension you should be able to get at most of them with a plastic putty knife and some Teflon grease. Just smear some grease on top of the contact pads. If you can't quite get between the leaves, you can carefully spread the leaves apart with a pry bar but be careful not to gouge or chip the metal. The dealer can do this for you, but you'll probably have to repeat this every month or so until the springs break in and settle a bit.

6. May 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I hit my springs with a powerwasher (no soap) while I was washing the truck this weekend and noticed they're making a little noise now where they were silent before.

7. Jun 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    Cody20

Cody20 Member

Member:
    same with mine dealership retightened shackle bolts and ubolts and regreased them noise was gone for about 2 days and now its back so im taking it back in ..
    2014 3 k miles ... pretty rediculous

8. Jun 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    VRAlex

VRAlex Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    14' Texas Edition
    Im having the same issue on my 2014, im taking it for its 10k service on thursday. Ill let yall know what they tell me.

9. Jul 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    lol. GM is making cars that kill people and we've got people in here up in arms about a squeak

10. Feb 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    Georgia Tacoma

Georgia Tacoma Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad
    I've had the same problem since the 5k mi marker. I took it to the dealership this past weekend, and had the technician ride with me to confirm. They are pointing their finger toward a soon-to-be released recall on the leaf springs. Unfortunately, the replacement parts aren't anticipated to be available until June.

Mine is able to squeak over really minor impacts, like a reflector.

It is not in conjunction with the rusty/brittle leaf springs on the 2005-11 Tacoma recall that was made public back in Sep '14.

Any of y'all have the dealership correctly address the squeak? I'm tossing around the idea of getting a second opinion from another dealership in the Atlanta area.

Products Discussed in

To Top