1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with a lift??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by FishTacoAL, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Apr 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 toyota tacoma 4x4 4cyl manual
    Seeking Advice...

I own a 2000 Tacoma single cab 4 cyl 4x4 which I wouldn't sell for nothing... I love it... However. I recently purchased a bass boat which I have been using the wife's 2013 4runner to tow.... I have been doing a good bit of researching on a nnew v6 TRD off rd maybe sport. (manual trnsmition).. So I can. Have a truck to pull my boat... I have hears mixed things like a guy that had a new trd off red 4x4 w 3" lift and he said it wouldn't tow worth a crap and would get like 10 mpg @ 60 mph... most everyone w an automatic says theirs pull good. My biggest concern is how it will pull w a lift/leveling kit on it... I found a dealership that will add a lift to stay under warranty and they will put any tires and rims I want on it....I'm pretty ignorant on the whole lift deal... all I know is that the new Tacoma's only look good to me w a lift.. w a lift they sharpest truck on rd... practically I know I prob b best to buy a tundra to tow my boat although its only a ranger 18 1/2 ft bass boat.. pretty heavy tho... I have read very mixed things on lifts.. if I want to tow a boat do I not want to lift it?? Also what lift would be best/safest for my truck... also is a pro comp lift good? That is what most I have seen being sold by dealerships have... also will I need the truck regeared?? Also I have seen a food bit of people on here talking about adding the TRD supercharger for more power if going to tow.... anyone on here have a manual transmit ion v6 and tow a boat a good bit??? Thanks for your help guys

2. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Welcome to TW.

There are a lot of questions here so I will try my best. First off, If you're looking to lift you truck check out this link here: http://www.tacomahq.com/66/tacoma-leveling-lift-kit/
    It has everything about the different types of lifts and all the pros and cons of each.

Second, addressing the stealership installing the lift; don't let them get to you saying that they are the one's that have to install it otherwise you void the warranty. "The Magnusson-Moss act makes it illegal for an auto manufacturer or auto dealer to void a warranty just because a vehicle has been modified. The only way that a vehicle warranty can be effected is if the lift or leveling kit is the direct cause of a failure." They will charge you an arm and a leg. Save money, maybe find a local guy on the forum willing to help or take it to a reputable offroad shop.

Third, MPG and re-gearing really only comes into affect when adjusting tire size. MPG will be lost regardless if running a larger tire than stock. Re-gearing comes into play when running tires larger than 33 inches. It is most common to run a 3" lift with 33" or under tires. You can run 35's but you will have to do a LOT of trimming.

Finally, the lift. Some people like Pro comp, others ran it and scrapped it within 6 months. Look into Bilstein, OME, Fox, Icon. And RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. The two most important things to remember are (1) do it once, do it right and (2) you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps you out.

3. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    It's possible, if you are going 33s then I'd definitely regearing. Stock gears and 33s are ok but towing anything it would be underpowered and overworked. It will still do fine but it may not like hills.

4. Apr 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Does rough country make a good lift for Tacoma's?? That is what one business near me uses... he said he never had any problems w Tacoma's.. they did say they had some sort of issues out of the tundras in past..

5. Apr 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    Redneck92

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    No, Id recommend Old Man Emu.

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Never Hurd of that... u would advise against rough country tho??? I ha e heard bad things of pro comp which is what most dealerships r rigging w

7. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  8. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    Redneck92

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    With lift kits you get what you pay for usually. Pro Crap, tough country, rough country, etc I would not recommend for these trucks.

9. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius

X2

Bilstein, OME, Icon, Fox, King..those are ones I would recommend.

10. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    A spacer lift allows the suspension to bottom out BEFORE hitting the bump stops. This will eventually cause catastrophic failure of the strut.

Keep in mind:
    You will likely need upper control arms to bring camber back in line, or wear the tires unevenly.
    A lift causes a your driveshaft to operate at the end of it's slip, due the extra droop. You will most likely have a vibration around 60mph, as I have. A custom driveshaft will be necessary. Note: A spacer for the driveshaft can result in a cracked transfer case, when the suspension is bottomed out.
    Most lifts are designed for the 6cyl, ext cab. The OME lift resulted in 2.75" on my front, and 3" in the rear. The struts top out very easily. I recommend a lighter coil, unless you plan to get a winch bumper soon. Otherwise, the strut act as a slide hammer, and can snap off the top of the strut.
    Nobody warned me of these things before I got my lift. Choose wisely, and save for the best.
    Forewarned is forearmed:)

11. Apr 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Anyone on here added the TRD supercharger to their truck for more power towing and is this something a dealership could install for me???

12. Apr 20, 2014 at 12:47 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Dealer will install an sc. You will get more power for sure. If you tow a lot and on long trips it may be worth it.

Do NOT let a dealer install a lift. You can save money and get a better setup if you buy it and have a buddy who knows what he's doing help. It isn't too hard. Avoid spacers and lift blocks (Rear). OME is good I have a Toytec Boss lift and am happy. Icon and Fox are great. Really do research and browse vender sites to see what they carry.

13. Apr 20, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks very much for your advice.

14. Apr 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have a 2000 Tacoma 4 cylinder w 32" bf Goodrich at tires... tows small boats well. Pulls my ranger but it struggles up a hill... considering this 4 banger has so much power for its size hard to imagine the v6 2014 model would have any trouble.. we have a 4runner that pulls it just fine and that's the same motor as the Tacoma right?? Does the fj have this same engine??

15. Apr 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Huntn57

Huntn57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Tacoma
    i com 2300 ham radio. for hunting (170 k miles) list of replacements since 166k miles: 4wd solenoid tailpipe muffer catalitytic conver exhaust manifold
    my granddad had a stock 2011 trd offroad and pulled a 2500 pound dump trailer with 2.5 ton of gravel 12.5 miles and he could run bout 50. and that wasnt ragging it. my friends dad has a 2008 trd sport 6 speed and pulled a kobtua tractor with front bucket and pulled fine. he just had to go slow because of dry rotted tires.

16. Apr 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Please keep em coming. Anyone on here tow a bass boat w a gen 2 Tacoma??? Would love to hear your thoughts... thanks

17. Apr 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    blazer190

blazer190 Active Member

Member:
    Walker Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4X4
    I tow a 20'Bullet with my 2011 v6 dbl cab auto 4x4 with a 3" lift and have no trouble at all towing. I get on the interstate and tow as fast as I want with no issues at all. My trailer has brakes so stopping is no problem. It also has 32" tires but there is really no difference in performance then when it was stock.

18. Apr 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    FishTacoAL

FishTacoAL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have hears some guys saying the new manual transmit ion tacomas make a squeeking noise in bearing after bout 40k miles... anyone know about this..

Products Discussed in

To Top