Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Towing with a lift??

Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
FishTacoAL is on a distinguished road
FishTacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with a lift??

Seeking Advice...

I own a 2000 Tacoma single cab 4 cyl 4x4 which I wouldn't sell for nothing... I love it... However. I recently purchased a bass boat which I have been using the wife's 2013 4runner to tow.... I have been doing a good bit of researching on a nnew v6 TRD off rd maybe sport. (manual trnsmition).. So I can. Have a truck to pull my boat... I have hears mixed things like a guy that had a new trd off red 4x4 w 3" lift and he said it wouldn't tow worth a crap and would get like 10 mpg @ 60 mph... most everyone w an automatic says theirs pull good. My biggest concern is how it will pull w a lift/leveling kit on it... I found a dealership that will add a lift to stay under warranty and they will put any tires and rims I want on it....I'm pretty ignorant on the whole lift deal... all I know is that the new Tacoma's only look good to me w a lift.. w a lift they sharpest truck on rd... practically I know I prob b best to buy a tundra to tow my boat although its only a ranger 18 1/2 ft bass boat.. pretty heavy tho... I have read very mixed things on lifts.. if I want to tow a boat do I not want to lift it?? Also what lift would be best/safest for my truck... also is a pro comp lift good? That is what most I have seen being sold by dealerships have... also will I need the truck regeared?? Also I have seen a food bit of people on here talking about adding the TRD supercharger for more power if going to tow.... anyone on here have a manual transmit ion v6 and tow a boat a good bit??? Thanks for your help guys
Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

There are a lot of questions here so I will try my best. First off, If you're looking to lift you truck check out this link here: http://www.tacomahq.com/66/tacoma-leveling-lift-kit/
It has everything about the different types of lifts and all the pros and cons of each.

Second, addressing the stealership installing the lift; don't let them get to you saying that they are the one's that have to install it otherwise you void the warranty. "The Magnusson-Moss act makes it illegal for an auto manufacturer or auto dealer to void a warranty just because a vehicle has been modified. The only way that a vehicle warranty can be effected is if the lift or leveling kit is the direct cause of a failure." They will charge you an arm and a leg. Save money, maybe find a local guy on the forum willing to help or take it to a reputable offroad shop.

Third, MPG and re-gearing really only comes into affect when adjusting tire size. MPG will be lost regardless if running a larger tire than stock. Re-gearing comes into play when running tires larger than 33 inches. It is most common to run a 3" lift with 33" or under tires. You can run 35's but you will have to do a LOT of trimming.

Finally, the lift. Some people like Pro comp, others ran it and scrapped it within 6 months. Look into Bilstein, OME, Fox, Icon. And RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. The two most important things to remember are (1) do it once, do it right and (2) you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible, if you are going 33s then I'd definitely regearing. Stock gears and 33s are ok but towing anything it would be underpowered and overworked. It will still do fine but it may not like hills.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Does rough country make a good lift for Tacoma's?? That is what one business near me uses... he said he never had any problems w Tacoma's.. they did say they had some sort of issues out of the tundras in past..
Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTacoAL View Post
Does rough country make a good lift for Tacoma's?? That is what one business near me uses... he said he never had any problems w Tacoma's.. they did say they had some sort of issues out of the tundras in past..
No, Id recommend Old Man Emu.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
No, Id recommend Old Man Emu.
Never Hurd of that... u would advise against rough country tho??? I ha e heard bad things of pro comp which is what most dealerships r rigging w
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
?????
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

With lift kits you get what you pay for usually. Pro Crap, tough country, rough country, etc I would not recommend for these trucks.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
With lift kits you get what you pay for usually.

X2

Bilstein, OME, Icon, Fox, King..those are ones I would recommend.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
A spacer lift allows the suspension to bottom out BEFORE hitting the bump stops. This will eventually cause catastrophic failure of the strut.

Keep in mind:
You will likely need upper control arms to bring camber back in line, or wear the tires unevenly.
A lift causes a your driveshaft to operate at the end of it's slip, due the extra droop. You will most likely have a vibration around 60mph, as I have. A custom driveshaft will be necessary. Note: A spacer for the driveshaft can result in a cracked transfer case, when the suspension is bottomed out.
Most lifts are designed for the 6cyl, ext cab. The OME lift resulted in 2.75" on my front, and 3" in the rear. The struts top out very easily. I recommend a lighter coil, unless you plan to get a winch bumper soon. Otherwise, the strut act as a slide hammer, and can snap off the top of the strut.
Nobody warned me of these things before I got my lift. Choose wisely, and save for the best.
Forewarned is forearmed
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Anyone on here added the TRD supercharger to their truck for more power towing and is this something a dealership could install for me???
Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
JJ04TACO will become famous soon enoughJJ04TACO will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
JJ04TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer will install an sc. You will get more power for sure. If you tow a lot and on long trips it may be worth it.

Do NOT let a dealer install a lift. You can save money and get a better setup if you buy it and have a buddy who knows what he's doing help. It isn't too hard. Avoid spacers and lift blocks (Rear). OME is good I have a Toytec Boss lift and am happy. Icon and Fox are great. Really do research and browse vender sites to see what they carry.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
Thanks very much for your advice.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
I have a 2000 Tacoma 4 cylinder w 32" bf Goodrich at tires... tows small boats well. Pulls my ranger but it struggles up a hill... considering this 4 banger has so much power for its size hard to imagine the v6 2014 model would have any trouble.. we have a 4runner that pulls it just fine and that's the same motor as the Tacoma right?? Does the fj have this same engine??
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTacoAL View Post
I have a 2000 Tacoma 4 cylinder w 32" bf Goodrich at tires... tows small boats well. Pulls my ranger but it struggles up a hill... considering this 4 banger has so much power for its size hard to imagine the v6 2014 model would have any trouble.. we have a 4runner that pulls it just fine and that's the same motor as the Tacoma right?? Does the fj have this same engine??
Yes they all have the 4.0 v6
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
Huntn57 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Huntn57's Tacoma Gallery
my granddad had a stock 2011 trd offroad and pulled a 2500 pound dump trailer with 2.5 ton of gravel 12.5 miles and he could run bout 50. and that wasnt ragging it. my friends dad has a 2008 trd sport 6 speed and pulled a kobtua tractor with front bucket and pulled fine. he just had to go slow because of dry rotted tires.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
Please keep em coming. Anyone on here tow a bass boat w a gen 2 Tacoma??? Would love to hear your thoughts... thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
blazer190 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
blazer190's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Bass Boat

I tow a 20'Bullet with my 2011 v6 dbl cab auto 4x4 with a 3" lift and have no trouble at all towing. I get on the interstate and tow as fast as I want with no issues at all. My trailer has brakes so stopping is no problem. It also has 32" tires but there is really no difference in performance then when it was stock.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
I have hears some guys saying the new manual transmit ion tacomas make a squeeking noise in bearing after bout 40k miles... anyone know about this..