Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What's the difference between a firm and soft suspension?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
ToeKneeSock is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
ToeKneeSock's Tacoma Gallery
Question What's the difference between a firm and soft suspension?

Hi all,

I'm interested in upgrading my suspension to run bigger tires and wheels for a more aggressive look/stance, something like 275/65R18 (32") or even 33", but unsure what set-up would be good for my application. I don't do any off-roading unless you considering driving thru dirt/grass to a hiking or camping spot as off-road.

I have a 2014 DCSB 4x4 and the set-up I'm considering are:
Old Man Emu and Bilstein 5100 w/ Ebachi.

I hear folks say the ride quality is good because suspension A is firmer then suspension B. What does that mean? if I was going over a speed bump or banking into a turn, how would a soft or firm suspension feel?

Thanks, Tony
Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Anyone? I want a ride that's not so bouncy as stock when going over speed bump or a pot holes.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think whatever you do it's going to give you a stiffer suspension. OME (which comes with its own shocks/struts) and the Bilstiens with new coils are obviously good choices based on popularity, and both, paired with a new leaf pack or AAL will give you an appropriate amount of firmness to feel more like a truck. No need to go with the 886 coils with a stock front end or pre-loading billies on a higher setting than 0.. you're gonna get more stiffness than you bargained for.

EDIT:
oh and to answer your question, a "firmer" suspension means that you're just going to have less "give" in your suspension. what is GOOD about this is that if you're offroading, you'll keep your shocks/truck from bouncing around and hitting something you dont want to, just a lot like going over a speed bump too fast in a car and slamming your front of your car into the pavement.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Taco View Post
I think whatever you do it's going to give you a stiffer suspension. OME (which comes with its own shocks/struts) and the Bilstiens with new coils are obviously good choices based on popularity, and both, paired with a new leaf pack or AAL will give you an appropriate amount of firmness to feel more like a truck. No need to go with the 886 coils with a stock front end or pre-loading billies on a higher setting than 0.. you're gonna get more stiffness than you bargained for.

EDIT:
oh and to answer your question, a "firmer" suspension means that you're just going to have less "give" in your suspension. what is GOOD about this is that if you're offroading, you'll keep your shocks/truck from bouncing around and hitting something you dont want to, just a lot like going over a speed bump too fast in a car and slamming your front of your car into the pavement.

Thanks, your info is much appreciated. Now I just need to decide on one haha.