1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon extended travel question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bueller, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Apr 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    bueller

bueller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    I have a couple questions about Icon coilovers. How much more travel does the extended travel have over the standard travel? Can the extended travel be run with stock UCAs if adjusted to <2" lift?

The reason I ask is because I don't have the money to buy everything I want at one time and I'm unwilling to spend money I don't have, so I'm buying things as I go. My truck is stock right now but I'd like to purchase a set of coilovers for the front first which will only be adjusted to level the truck until I can piece the rest of the lift together. I will get UCAs later on before raising the truck more. Is it worth getting the extended travel over standard?

I do plan on using the truck offroad on difficult trails here in AZ at some point which is why I'm looking at the extended travel, just not sure it's necessary. I won't be doing any high speed stuff if that helps.

2. Apr 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC TRD Supercharger URD 2.2 and 7th
    I ran Icon extended travel c/o's with stock UCA's for like 3 years with no issues. However, it was basically all on road driving. I think they give an extra .5-1" of down travel. This extra down travel is why you need UCA's.

3. Apr 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    If you're going to buy your lift one piece at a time buy the UCA's first and set them aside until you get your c/o's. I had an issue with ICON coilovers leaking after less than a year on my truck, but I'd purchased them a year before with the intention of installing them whenever I found someone capable to help me.

Long story short, 3.4v6 (Jason) helped me install them after they sat for a year in my spare bedroom. They started leaking less than one year after install. ICON wouldn't do anything about it because 1. It was beyond one year from the purchase date and 2. they said that it was due to corrosion. I was living in San Francisco (close to West Portal) at the time so maybe the fog?

The salt in the wound was that I paid the extra money for the IVD coating and it didn't didn't seem to help or give me any leeway with Icon. They were happy to take my money to rebuild them, though. Imagine having to rebuild your brand new coil overs for $$$ after having them on your truck for less than a year.

Before the warranty-beaters come in shouting policy. I paid extra for the IVD coating which didn't seem to do anything and they wouldn't cut me any slack (discount) the rebuild. Am I bitter? Yes. Would I like to upgrade my rear shocks to Icons? Yes. Will I? I've been asking myself that for the past few years putting off upgrading after this customer service experience. Did they do right by policy? Yes Did they do wrong by the customer? In my humble opinion, yes.

TL;DR - Buy your coil overs right before you install them so you can fall back on the warranty if you need it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    bueller

bueller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Good advice. However, I would be installing them right away as a way to level the truck first. They would be getting used from day one. And when I say piece the lift together, I mean over probably a three month period max. I also live in AZ where corrosion isn't an issue so I don't think the IVD coating would be really necessary here.

Products Discussed in

To Top