Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift

Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
MoonCrawler has a spectacular aura aboutMoonCrawler has a spectacular aura aboutMoonCrawler has a spectacular aura about

MoonCrawler's Tacoma Gallery
E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift

I've seen that some people have had this problem, but I'm not clear on the best fix.

I just installed Dakar leaf packs, as well as an AAL, and 3/8" axle relocation plates. I'm somewhere between 3 and 3.5" of lift. I like how things are sitting.

But my e-brake cable runs OVER the springs, and now that the leaf packs are much thicker, the cable is contacting and rubbing on the edge of the packs before reaching the arm of the drum brakes.

Thats a problem. But what is the fix?
Is there an aftermarket kit to correct this?
Or am I looking at fabbing things?
Should I extend the arms on the drum brakes (to which the cable attaches) so that the cable goes over the springs higher and more level?
If so, will the increased leverage be a problem?
Or should I be considering relocating the entire assembly to somehow go UNDER the springs (the way it should have been done by toyota)?

If any of you have dealt with and corrected this, could you take pics of your work and post them?
Attached Thumbnails
E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift-l-arm.jpg   E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift-l-cable.jpg   E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift-r-arm.jpg   E-brake cable rubbing on leaf packs with 3" lift-r-cable.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
MoonCrawler has a spectacular aura aboutMoonCrawler has a spectacular aura aboutMoonCrawler has a spectacular aura about

hmmm....67 views and no love. should I have just posted this in the 1st gen. section?
I know I'm not the only one with my spring set-up.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
mkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Joe
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
I asked this same question in the 1st gen forum.
Here is the reply that I got...

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=34
Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks a ton. That's the exact info I was looking for.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
mkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
No problem
Old 05-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Did you have the extenders made or did you fab them yourself?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Air Force:
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
I have not had to do it yet myself. For me was a more so a forward thinking question generated by another post here that had the actual problem.
Let me find my post and you can asked the guy that provided me with that link.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Air Force:
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
My phone is not wanting to copy and paste the link.
Do a search on links started by me and look for the post about the cable rubbing should be close to the top.