Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coilover rebuild interval.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Coilover rebuild interval.

Hey all, just bought a new DCLB TRD Sport, and after running a spacer lift/blocks on my '11 (I know, I know) I would still like to do a lift (no more than 2"), but would like to do it properly.

I run roughly 40K miles per year, and of that, at least 30% is on medium speed (50mph) gravel roads, sometimes decently graded, sometimes not. I never grab any air, and never do any low speed rock crawling.

I am looking at a good set of coil overs (king/fox/icon), but am concerned with the rebuild interval I might have to deal with. On Fox's website, they recommend a 10K mile rebuild, given 50/50 on/off road ratio. Is this exclusive to Fox?

I don't mind the initial buy in cost, but I really cringe at taking the suspension out from underneath my truck every three months and shipping it cross country for a rebuild. I don't care how smooth the ride is, this isn't going to happen.

I don't want to sacrifice the semi-smooth stock ride, are there any other options I should look at, or is it an all or nothing proposition?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
For my foxes, if i run mainly highway miles i only rebuild every 50K.

Off road mainly yes you'll need a rebuild every 10K, i dont wheel often enough to go by the 10K so when i get closer to 50K i'll be looking to rebuild.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
I guess if that's the case, I'll have to pass. $1000 per year worth of rebuilds, in addition to the hassle of taking it apart, shipping, and putting my truck out of service four times, isn't going to happen.

I might just leave it stock...