1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 shocks junk after 1 year!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hardgour, May 21, 2014.

1. May 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    hardgour

hardgour [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    3" lift (coilovers in front add a leaf and 1" spacer in rear), 33" grabber at2, powertrax rear locker, lce long headers w/high flow cat. and magnaflow catback, hurst shifter, roll bar... lots of lights
    I put a set of bilstein 5100 10" shocks in the rear about a year ago (I have 3" of rear lift achieved by a 1" spacer and an 2" AAL) and now their leaking like crazy and the back is starting to feel a little squirrely. I do a lot of light to moderate (and some higher speed) off-roading. At the recommendation of a friend, I did cut the boots off when I installed them. I'm thinking maybe road salt (I live in NH) ate the seals? Could it really happen that fast? Should I have not cut the boots off? Pistons up or down? What shock should I replace them with? Dogs and cats living together!?

[this is in a 2004 taco 2.7L extracab 5 speed]

2. May 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Is the 10 inch 5100 rated for a 3 inch lift?

You should definitely not have cut the boot off, why would you do that?

Sounds like you destroyed them, rather than them failing you.

edit: Also, what are you running for bump stops? If you bottomed out the shocks on your offroading trips because you didn't check your travel, you'll destroy even the greatest of shocks.

3. May 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    cutting the boot off doesn't do shit. (unless you live in the salt areas) but betting the reason yours failed was because of this second part. They are hardened cromo shafts, salt shouldn't affect it. I have had more issues with having boots on and collecting dirt and crap in them then not running them at all.

are the shocks being used as limit straps? are they bottoming out before the bump stops? this is what kills shocks.

4. May 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    awaiting ben to tell us all how shitty 5100s are

5. May 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    hardgour

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    3" lift (coilovers in front add a leaf and 1" spacer in rear), 33" grabber at2, powertrax rear locker, lce long headers w/high flow cat. and magnaflow catback, hurst shifter, roll bar... lots of lights
    the shocks don't even come close to bottoming out. I put 600lbs back there and I had still had 2.5" of piston left. and of course I'm not off-roading with that kind of weight. Yeah, that's what my buddy said about the boots; he claims that they trap stuff. **Edit I also flexed the rear way out until one side was off the ground and the compressed side still wasn't even close to bottomed out.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. May 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Then you probably have too much down travel, your shocks are acting as limit straps. since you have 2.5 inches left of travel when you hit bump, you effectively have 7.5 inches of total available travel in that shock. Relocate the shock, or strap your axle if you intend to keep wheeling it hard.

7. May 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not what the point of the question was... You have to make sure your shocks are not your limiting factor in travel if so you have to correct it with limit straps and bumps.. My bet is this is the issue... Also if you run cheaper shocks hard they won't last forever... I doubt mine will last more then 2 years I tend to be hard on shocks.

8. May 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    hardgour

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    "your shocks are acting as limit straps" What does this mean?

9. May 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Your rear axle downtravel is limited by the length of the shock, rather than the spring/shackle. The purpose of limit straps is to make it so your rear axle doesn't travel past the intended length of the shocks. Since you don't have limit straps, your shock is what limits the travel. Hope that helps...

10. May 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    hardgour

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    ooh, so I need limit straps? Would a longer shock be appropriate? When I look at my piston the last 2" are all cruddy because they never get pushed through the seal.

**Edit would a longer shock with bump stops be better?

**Okay I think I get it. Put it on a lift and see if the shocks are maxed out. If so, then use limit straps to raise the axel so that the shocks compress just a little at max extension allowed by the limit straps. Is that right?

11. May 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Yeah, or just don't let your back end flex down that much, you might go over to the mid travel or long travel threads for some tips on how to correct your issue.

12. May 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    hardgour

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    Well that's why I'm not 100% confident that maxing the shock out is what destroyed it. I do very little crawling where they'd be flexed out that far. The rear suspension is pretty stiff; so maybe a hard bump at a good speed is allowing the rear to max when my ass gets thrown up in the air.. but I still don't think so.

13. May 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    you can flex the truck, remove one bolt from the bottom of the shock and pull it off, and see if the truck flexes more.

14. May 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    no. you get the shack to fit your suspension

that is why you always order shocks last so you can measure your full droop and compression lengths.

what do you have on the truck for the rear?

15. May 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    this too. pull one end of the shock off and flex the truck on something (actually drive the truck on something, not just with a hi lift, to account for forced articulation) measure the shock mount eye to eye on the truck with the shock on and off. if it is a greater distance with the shock off you need longer shocks.

I know for me, i had just a 2" aal and the 5100s seemed to be fine. but i threw on some 6" shackles and the shocks limited droop by about 2", which is why they went to shit.

there are a number of variables that go into how well the rear performs so you just have to measure it

16. May 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    You need [urlhttp://goo.gl/KxkJkX[/url] for 3" of lift. If you have OEM part numbers, you've over-extended them and they are now junk. ;)

Have you also lifted the front? Check the travel for those as well.

17. May 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    those are for a 2nd gen, op has a 1st gen

18. May 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    My bad... fixed it. ;)

The only Bilstein option on Toytec covers up to 2.5" rear lift so I guess those are not an option for the OP.

19. May 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    hardgour

Member:
    First Name:
    reid
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    yeah I have a 2" AAL with a 1" spacer lift. I have the toytec coilovers turned up to 3" with the diff drop; the front looks and behaves fine. Eric, the bilstien 10" on my truck are considerably longer than OEM. I replaced the rear shocks because after just a 1" spacer lift I had very little downward travel and then when I got in trouble with squat room with the longer shocks I put on the 2" AAL.

20. May 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    I have the same problem as the OP. Just a heads up OP those 5100's are not 10" travel.

Toytec doesn't have any extended length shocks. they are all about an inch or so longer than your stock OEM shocks.. (even the remote resi Icons are not extended length.)

Wheelers offroad has the 5125 billys 10" travel which is what you are looking for i believe.

EDIT: I hate the feeling of over extending my 5100's.. going over speed bumps sucks so much.

I do think there are a few different versions of the 5100's.. If you got it from toytec then they are for sure the wrong ones though.

Products Discussed in

To Top