1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Bumpstops for Extended Bilstein 5100?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Drunknsloth, May 23, 2014.

1. May 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth [OP] Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I'm planning on installing the OME Dakar Leaf pack with the extra overload leaf soon on my 2008 Tacoma. I already have the extended Bilstein 5100 shocks and I was wondering what other people with the extended 5100s on second gen Tacomas are doing for bumpstops to prevent the shock from bottoming out. I've been searching the forums for a while and most people are using a U-bolt flip kit and welding a piece of metal on top of the plate to extend the stock bumps. I was looking for something bolt on, maybe without the U-bolt flip kit? I see that wheelers has towers for their bumpstops but I'm confused with how they say it compresses to stock height. Is that with or without the towers?

When I got the extended 5100's Marco at Down South Motorsports told me I need taller bumpstops to keep the shock from bottoming out. I called them recently and the guy on the phone said that Marco didn't work there anymore and that I'd have to cycle the suspension to find the height of the bumpstop I need because "every truck is different". I understand that the ride height and stuff of every truck would be different but shouldn't the height of the bumpstop required to prevent the shock from bottoming out be the same for the same shock?

2. May 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
  3. May 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I've seen someone bolt a hockey puck to the frame where the bump stop would come in contact. I'm personally looking to get some wheelers bump stops with extension spacers to replace my factory bump stops.

4. May 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Would the hockey puck be tall enough? I think the normal length 5100 and the extended have about 2 inches difference in collapse length. What extended spacers are you talking about?

5. May 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Here ya go

6. May 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I was looking at those. Don't those compress to the stock bumpstop height? Do those spacers work for the rear bumpstop?

7. May 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Spacers are for the rear bumpstops. I'm sure you could either stack enough of them, get a longer bolt, or have a custom spacer made for your desired bump height, with a longer bolt

8. May 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Hmm... I might have to try installing everything and then measure everything and run with short bumps until I get everything in...

9. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    Dvst8r1K

Dvst8r1K Night-Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen Black Tacoma SS 4.0l 4-dr 4x4
    1" Toytec body-lift, K&N filter, coolant by-pass, mesh cotton screen delete, TTBS, WeatherTech in channel visors, 2.5" Rancho full suspension kit, Oil Catch Can, Toyo 285/70 A/T-2's, 21.5" light bar in grill, blacked-out grill, de-badged entire truck; and again, more to come.....
    so sorry that I'm not savvy enough in using this phone of mine, for I'm at a loss when it comes to posting pics. Look the pics up on my Instagram @po_boys_taco, and you will see exactly what I'm talking about.
    I took a 2" receiver extension, and cut 2, 2" sections. I drilled the tops and bottoms a bit offset to each other to get the bump stop over my shackle flip plate. Done.... (cone shaped bump stop from autozone 'in store', no ordering) and the receiver extension from tractor supply. All in one day...20200921_193922.jpg 20200921_193808.jpg

10. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    Dvst8r1K

Dvst8r1K Night-Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen Black Tacoma SS 4.0l 4-dr 4x4
    1" Toytec body-lift, K&N filter, coolant by-pass, mesh cotton screen delete, TTBS, WeatherTech in channel visors, 2.5" Rancho full suspension kit, Oil Catch Can, Toyo 285/70 A/T-2's, 21.5" light bar in grill, blacked-out grill, de-badged entire truck; and again, more to come.....
    why spend $120-150, when you can maybe spend a 1/4 of that using po_boys_taco methods.. Have fun saving money..

Products Discussed in

To Top