Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What Bumpstops for Extended Bilstein 5100?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
What Bumpstops for Extended Bilstein 5100?

I'm planning on installing the OME Dakar Leaf pack with the extra overload leaf soon on my 2008 Tacoma. I already have the extended Bilstein 5100 shocks and I was wondering what other people with the extended 5100s on second gen Tacomas are doing for bumpstops to prevent the shock from bottoming out. I've been searching the forums for a while and most people are using a U-bolt flip kit and welding a piece of metal on top of the plate to extend the stock bumps. I was looking for something bolt on, maybe without the U-bolt flip kit? I see that wheelers has towers for their bumpstops but I'm confused with how they say it compresses to stock height. Is that with or without the towers?

When I got the extended 5100's Marco at Down South Motorsports told me I need taller bumpstops to keep the shock from bottoming out. I called them recently and the guy on the phone said that Marco didn't work there anymore and that I'd have to cycle the suspension to find the height of the bumpstop I need because "every truck is different". I understand that the ride height and stuff of every truck would be different but shouldn't the height of the bumpstop required to prevent the shock from bottoming out be the same for the same shock?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I've seen someone bolt a hockey puck to the frame where the bump stop would come in contact. I'm personally looking to get some wheelers bump stops with extension spacers to replace my factory bump stops.
Would the hockey puck be tall enough? I think the normal length 5100 and the extended have about 2 inches difference in collapse length. What extended spacers are you talking about?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Spacers are for the rear bumpstops. I'm sure you could either stack enough of them, get a longer bolt, or have a custom spacer made for your desired bump height, with a longer bolt
Hmm... I might have to try installing everything and then measure everything and run with short bumps until I get everything in...