1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New leaf springs, not even left to right?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by snowgod06, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jun 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 [OP] UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    Installed allpros expo packs and their flip plate. But... the truck is leaning hard like the taco lean. The front is even side to side but for some strange reason the back isn't. Their is about an inch difference, never had this problem before hand. Any thoughts to why this is? Are the EXPO's side dependent? I have the wrap towards the front.. everything isnt over torqued, im lost on what to do :(

[​IMG]

2. Jun 10, 2014 at 6:31 AM
    snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
  3. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I would call All-Pro.

Recently in another suspension thread, a guy installed OEM (stock; not OME) front shocks and he had a taco lean. Turns out that the shocks are side specific from the factory and he installed them in reverse. I would double check the markings on both sides and make sure there aren't any noticeable differences. Maybe someone with expos can chime in..I have Dakars :eek:

4. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    I hope that's the fix, if not then Idk :( guess ill just go through the work to swap sides if someone chimes in that has the EXPOs

5. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Not ExPos, but I have had two different trucks that had aftermarket lifts and swapping the left to the right fixed their lean.

6. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    They are not side specific. Did you happen to change anything up front or did you do just the rear?

A little lean is common due to the gas tank, but that looks excessive. It could be just a tolerance thing from one pack to another so switching them could actually serve as a fix even though they are not side specific.

7. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    curious about this as well. I have the same problem with the dakar leaf pack.

8. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    With the dakars they actually mark their packs depending on where they land from the spec.

+ = just over spec
    - = just under spec
    0 = at spec

If you have a + and a - or a 0 make sure the + is on the drivers side. If you have both - or + it doesn't matter which side goes where because they are the same. If you have two 0 then you got two perfectly speced out packs and so side shouldn't matter.

That said nothing is perfect so you may have to swap them if a lean is still present just to see if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't get an AAL and chop it down and make a mini block ;)

9. Jun 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and swap everything and see what happens lol. Should leave all the fasteners a little loose till all the wheels are on the ground then snug then down?

10. Jun 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Highly recommended if you are using stock bushings, not as important if you are using urethane bushings with plenty of grease.

Re-torque the U-bolts after 300 miles or so, since it's a big stack of parts compressed together and can settle.

11. Jun 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    NLMOOmar

NLMOOmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OFFROAD SC
    Shrockwork Sliders, ICON (C/0, Tube UCA and 2.0 Rear), Dakars, US OFFROAD winch mount bumper. 2014 Nav Radio, SOS rear bumper and shackle flip, Pelfreybilt Skids. BAMF Bar mount and CMC, SCS-F5, Magnuson SC
    I have ICONS ℅ up front, driver side front was lower by just over a 1/4" and it translated to right rear (dakars) being an inch higher stance, same as your picture. When I evened the front out the rear became equal.I know you said the front were even side to side, but I would double check. Before having to swap leafs. I couldn't believe that small difference could be amplified in the rear stance.

12. Jun 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    2 things, & I know this sounds goofy, but do you have the same lean on other "level" surfaces ?? (reason I ask is even a little deviation in the "level surface" slab not level even tho' it looks level can make it look like its taco lean) If your level surface is indeed level, then check your springs side by side & measure from centerpin to ground & see if they're the same..

Products Discussed in

To Top