1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon AAL Clearance Issues with Fuel Tank Mount

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ThatguyJZ, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ [OP] Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    The other day I was inspecting a few things under the truck when I came across this. First let me say that upon install everything is oriented correctly and as it came from Icon. The leafs are installed the correct direction, not backwards. Clamp bolt orientation was kept consistent.

IMG_20140626_132427_zpssvcmbkge_cea6820765e43d0199a69ab5a2324aa7825f0c3f.jpg

This is located on the driver's side, at the front of the leaf springs. You can see the nut/bolt on the forward most pack clamp has been coming in contact with the fuel tank mount. I've had a few small issues with this area, namely some on/off squeaking due to outer most part of the clamp coming in contact with leafs, while the inner most side has more clearance than it needs. Some bending and coercing here and there and I'm hoping I have the issue solved without having to take it all apart.

Anyway, I flipped the bolt for the clamp around so that the head of the bolt is on the side of the gas tank, and the nut/bolt end is outward towards the wheel. This allows for more clearance. I hope in the long term this solves the problem. I shot some paint on the mount and will check it for new damage.

There was nothing in the instructions regarding clamp bolt orientation or clearance issues from Icon when I installed these so I posting this hoping it helps out and prevents anyone else from dealing with this.

For a point of reference, my truck is a 2014 DCSB TRD Offroad that came stock with the 3+1 leaf pack.

2. Jul 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    ThatguyJZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    So I checked it out today and there's still some rubbing going on. Much less than before but it looks like the pack clamp bracket is what's hitting now. I ground away some material from the top of the clamp to allow some more travel, but honestly it was only millimeters at best. If no luck I think I may have have to take some heat to the inner part of the clamp so I can bend it in towards the leaf some more.

Has any one else had this problem or have any ideas? Did they change something in '14 leading to clearance issues?

Here you can see it's not rubbing near as bad since I flipped the bolt, but it's still not 100% clear. This is with just daily driving and casual hooning around, no real flexing or anything.

IMG_20140717_190336_zps72kmb2yr_846f369b5208495ba101f77759fbf929d0501163.jpg

I've attached my MS Paint artist's rendering, to help illustrate how that clamp looks skewed. In comparison, the rear most clamp on this same side has equal space on both sides of the leafs.

*Update 8/24/14* - Since grinding away some material from the top of the clamp the issue has greatly improved. There's only minimal marking from what appears to be the bolt head. I plan on taking out the bolt and shaving away from material from it as well.

temp.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. Sep 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    ThatguyJZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    Bump from the dead - verified the same issue on another '14 TRD OR with Icon AAL. So it's not an isolated problem.

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    I flipped the bolt on that clamp to eliminate any clearance issues. So far, so good.

5. May 16, 2020 at 7:40 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Thread revival since this might help others. I had the same issue with my 2014 Tacoma as OP, except I have the Headstrong 3 leaf AAL. I contacted Headstrong and they provided the following response:
    "This clip can be removed or cut down in order to avoid contact. The clips purpose is to help keep the leafs aligned with one another, but between the clip on the opposite end and the ubolts there is not an issue with modifying it. We are thinking at some point the tank straps were relocated and so it wasn’t until more recently (about 3 weeks ago) was this brought to our attention, before that we sold these for about 7 years without an issue until we redesigned them a month or two ago. "

So, I cut the clip much shorter and I think that'll do it. If not, I'll just have my shop remove the AAL, cut the clip out better, then reinstall.

Products Discussed in

To Top