Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Options, Advice Needed - '02 PRE DBL 3.4L TRD

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Area51Runner is on a distinguished road

Area51Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Options, Advice Needed - '02 PRE DBL 3.4L TRD

A few months ago if I was faced with this, I would have just went the stock parts route but since I have found TW and fallen back in love with my truck (lol, sorry wife) - I figured I'd hit up the forum for advice on suspension.

Fronts are starting to become bouncy and need to be replaced. Rear seems solid and I guess passes the bounce test. Original shocks/struts @ 128k so its definitely time to replace.

Rims are stock - and I currently have Kumho Road Ventures (265/70r16) however they are also due to be replaced soon. I want to get back to BFG and this time around want to put the ATA K/Os on. I'd rather not head down the road of larger rims as that will begin to become costly. Rather stick with the 16s so I suppose a lift wouldn't look right.

As for driving/usage - I'm basically stock and hit the occasional dusty road once in a blue moon - meaning, hardly never. This isn't to say that wont change so I want to be able to hit the trails if I find myself in that situation.

In another thread, I was given the following advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogCabins View Post
You should get the Rancho Quicklift for your new suspension, your not looking to lift but it will level out your rake and they actually ride better than stock and it's a full coilover replacement......and if you buy them off Amazon you can get them very reasonable.....just a thought
After reading countless threads here and wanting to stick with stock brand, I was leaning towards Bilstein 5100s. I am of course open and just basically need some advice - pros/cons, brand options, etc.

With the Rancho Quicklift - I found two listed on Amazon.

There is the Rancho RS999907 Quick Lift Loaded Strut, Rancho RS999908 Quick Lift Loaded Strut and Rancho RS999794 Quick Lift Suspension Lift System. Im guessing without looking at detail that the 907 and 908 are left/right side.

Not sure the difference yet with the 794 system.

One of the amazon reviews for the RS999907/908 mention:
Quote:
used Fabtech (FTS205) 1-1/2" Add-A-Leaf Kit for Toyota Tacoma for the rear of truck
along with (Left Rear) Bilstein 24-184960 Bilstein Shocks - 4600 series & (Right Rear) Bilstein 24-184977 Bilstein Shocks - 4600 series. With this exact setup there is no need for a leveling kit. You'll get almost 3 inches a lift all the way around and the right is amazing. No leaning into turns, recovers quickly from dips, bumps etc. It is level all the way around and drives amazing. I can't say enough about it.
This is setup for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (4 door/double cab) with the TRD off road package. 3.4 liter V6 automatic Transmission 2 wheel Drive.
Not set on any specific brand as yet. Opinions welcome and sorry for the winded post - just adding what I have so far.

I'll post current condition pics tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Aztecs is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerospace Propulsion
Name: Jose
Aztecs's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Bilstein as well so check out the Toytec website since they sell several options. But I took a different path, I went with the ProComp ProRunners. I love them and everyone that has taken a ride in my truck loves the drive because it feels great. But since your truck is a 02 PreRunner, I'll say Bilstein since that is what I installed on my 99 PreRunner.

Products Discussed in this Thread