Notices

Suspension Debate: LT or DB??

Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Ralf is on a distinguished road

Name: Ralf
Ralf's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Debate: LT or DB??

Hey folks!

Been pondering about doing a lift for my truck, because we can all agree stock just doesn't cut it, and oh man do Tacoma's ever look mean with the right lift and tires!! So with that being said, which lift is the best choice?

When it comes to off road, I'm not big into mud and getting stuck, since this is where usually sh*t hits the fan and things break. Seeing as the summer time in Northern Alberta the mud becomes so thick that even walking through it is next to impossible, driving is a nightmare. I mainly go off road in the winter time for this reason, and well hunting season then too. So I need something thats good in cold (like really freaking cold -40), not a big hassle on maintenance (since I know LT's requiring a little more care, not a huge deal) and preferably reliable for DDing and of course won't leave me stranded due to lack of quality.

Now I've narrowed it down to maybe an RCD Drop Bracket as a simpler and cheaper option... Seems to have good reviews, and a lot of people seem to use them. Now for a long travel kit, I do like the All Pro kit. Retaining factory fenders, gaining great ground clearance, as well as lift, and amazing off road capabilities! Although I am finding mixed reviews on that... Decisions decisions.. Any other options and opinions are greatly appreciated. There's no deadline in mind, and a blank canvas (stock 2014 Tacoma).

Obviously will go with bumpers then too, if the DB succeeds, ARB Deluxe. If I go with the All Pro, their APEX Bumper looks to be a great fit to match the kit.

Thanks for the time!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Haha you shall receive.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
A solid mid fravel kit would be better then a drop bracket lift IMO...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Lt vs DB .. Wtf is there to debate
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just go mid travel? it is cheaper than LT and DB. Plus you can adjust the lift on the front and gain a great ride for everyday driving. I guess a budget would be helpful for us to give you good suggestions.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fort Mac hey...? Hmm that sucks. Sorry.

If you're going to wheel it, go long travel. If it's for show and looking like a douche, get a douche bracket.

If you want an easy to maintain truck, don't so either. Get a nice Icon bolt on setup.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I went DB because I didn't do the research and got very good deals on my parts. Go with something else. I have just spent a fortune re-doing my suspension in order to utilize the DB lift as part of a 4x4 suspension system.
Also being that you're in the neighborhood....TEAOA.CA
Old 07-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
BroBraBlahBlah

Visit the teabaggers ^^
Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Haha
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

Ralf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Fort Mac hey...? Hmm that sucks. Sorry.

If you're going to wheel it, go long travel. If it's for show and looking like a douche, get a douche bracket.

If you want an easy to maintain truck, don't so either. Get a nice Icon bolt on setup.
The land of hopes and dreams right? Haha. Didn't you have a lot of problems with your LT kit? And yes, the problem with the DB lift is every truck with em is owned by a douche, especially in this town... Just sought it out for being a cheaper option. Looking into icon right now
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
VA6DCO

Old man emu or bilstein is also a cheaper alternative with a fairly good start to get into some offroad action.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #13

Ralf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Why not just go mid travel? it is cheaper than LT and DB. Plus you can adjust the lift on the front and gain a great ride for everyday driving. I guess a budget would be helpful for us to give you good suggestions.
So in your opinion, what would be a great mid travel kit then? Budget wise, would be up to $5,000 - $6,000, considering the price of an LT kit... I guess I should've mentioned tire seize too.. I'd say a 33x12.5 would be ideal considering wheel travel and no issues of tire rubbing.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
BroBraBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
The land of hopes and dreams right? Haha. Didn't you have a lot of problems with your LT kit? And yes, the problem with the DB lift is every truck with em is owned by a douche, especially in this town... Just sought it out for being a cheaper option. Looking into icon right now
Yeah man. Lots of good choices inbetween LT and DB.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Check out downsouthmotorsports.com and look at the stuff available for tacomas. You can find a real nice mid travel set up that will give you around 3" of lift. You can fit up to a 35" tire if you don't mind cutting fenders and bashing firewalls out of the way. Way less maintenance than LT and way more useful than DB.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Ralf's Tacoma Gallery
Alrighty... So in your guys opinion, a good mid travel set up with a good set of shocks should soak bumps nicely, without the need of an LT kit? Because crawling over the simplest of ruts gets annoying... Seeing as getting into fibreglass fenders and then running the risks Spoonman ran into with his truck, a mid travel would be the way to go? Other thing I can see with an LT is warranty out the window huh? Thanks again for the help and info!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
gymclaws is on a distinguished road
Name: jim
gymclaws's Tacoma Gallery
don't go cheap, you'll regret it
Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
Alrighty... So in your guys opinion, a good mid travel set up with a good set of shocks should soak bumps nicely, without the need of an LT kit? Because crawling over the simplest of ruts gets annoying... Seeing as getting into fibreglass fenders and then running the risks Spoonman ran into with his truck, a mid travel would be the way to go? Other thing I can see with an LT is warranty out the window huh? Thanks again for the help and info!
That's what I think you should do. Plus airing down your tires when you're offroad will soak up stuff a lot better too.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #19

Ralf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymclaws View Post
don't go cheap, you'll regret it
Oh no definitely not! Just talking to Spoonman before I make my final decision (still thinking about an LT kit). If i do go mid travel... I figure Icon 2.5" Rem Res shocks front and rear, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, and either ARB/OME Dakar 2.75" leaf pack or All Pro 3" leaf pack... Figure that would be a good set up..?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #20

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Great setup