1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Give Me Your Ideas On Alignment

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RCOTaco, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Jul 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco [OP] Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    I really don't know where this belongs to be entirely honest, but read this, and you'll see it doesn't fit in either Wheels and Tires, or Suspension in its entirety. This is directed primarily to those who have slightly modified suspensions, lift kits or what-not.

Somewhere around 2 years ago, I installed Bilstein 5100s on the stock offroad coils of my truck, and set them to 2.5" of lift. Like most, when I went to get it aligned, I didn't get a perfect alignment, but my camber and toe seemed to be pretty good (not perfect), somewhere around 0.1-0.2°. I didn't have the money for aftermarket, alignment fixing upper control arms at the time, so I dealt with the wondering on the highway. At the same time, I put on a set of Pro Comp Wheels, and Mickey Thompson MTZs at the same time as the lift.

Fast forward a year and a half, and it was pretty noticeable that somewhere, my alignment was bad enough that it feathered my MTZs, and the outside of the tire was wearing more than the inside, presumably from turning, where the camber got worse the harder I turned. ( They sat slightly like this: \ / )

So I got a set of Light Racing upper control arms, and my truck aligned again.My caster was fixed, so I had nomore wandering on the highway. To combat the outer tire wear, I changed mycamber to be -0.1°, so the tires set similar to this: / \

I’m planning to get a set of 33s, but I don’t want to end up with the tires wearing anything less than perfect, so I don’t know how to set my camber to get them to wear that way.

The whole reason for this thread was to get ideas of how y’all are combatting outer tire wear while turning, while keeping the tire upright when the wheels aren’t turned. So if you would help me out here, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    RCOTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    Bump! Nobody has noticed this, or done anything?

3. Jul 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    RCOTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Guys come on, I know someone has noticed this with their alignment! :help:

4. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Your issue is the camber when straight. Get it at 0 and your tires will wear fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top