1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fast washboards and ruts...best setup for comfort?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Twatwaffles, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jul 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    Twatwaffles

Twatwaffles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got an '07 DCLB Sport, up here in Canada with the OEM 4 leaf rear. I'm looking at a small (2-2.5" front, 1.5-2" rear) lift, with my primary concerns being comfort and durability. I've been looking at the adjustable Bilstein kit from Toytec, or the OME kit (unfortunately, the 90021 front shocks are out of stock). I don't tow or haul anything more than a dirtbike in the back, but I'm working up north where most of the roads are shit - lots of dirt, washboards, ruts and washouts. I want something comfortable and durable.

I've done lots of searching so far, and this is the best I figure I should look at. For the rear, I figure blocks are out. The added cost and stiffness of Dakars kind of rule them out (and I don't need any added payload capacity), so I'm probably looking at AAL's for the back. Which ones should I be looking at - with durability a main concern and my need for a small lift?

As far as shocks go, I understand I should probably look at the 90021's from OME with the 885's up front, or the Toytec 5100 and Eibach combo. Any other advice?

2. Jul 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Lifts make for a crappy ride and decrease downtravel. Best ride is low with travel.

Ome and a aal will be bone jarring.

3. Jul 30, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Twatwaffles

Twatwaffles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Should I just swap out the crappy TRD Bilsteins (one of which is leaking) with some 5100's then, keep the OEM Sport springs and leaf packs and maintain the factory height?

4. Jul 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I would. It will be cheaper and it will ride much better. Unless you're having issues with clearance in the middle of the truck due to our long wheel bases I would stay low. The only reason I would lift a truck is for clearance and that can be somewhat accomplished with new tires when your old ones go bald.

Most of the lifted trucks in here ride like POOP and are lifted to look cool or clear obstacles. My current set up (King fronts w/no lift on the coils and TSB leaf packs with a 3 leaf progressive AAL) ride 10X better then pretty much every lifted truck I have ever ridden in.

I will be lifting it because I am constantly getting stuck (high siding) and I am not happy that I will lose the ride quality. I like speed, but at this point I like to crawl more so Ill sacrifice ride quality for clearance.

Products Discussed in

To Top