1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best DD Suspension!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ManikTacoma, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    ManikTacoma

ManikTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Upper left USA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB SR5 Black
    3in Toytec adjustable lift kit, 285/75/16 Tires
    Hey TW! Long time reader first time poster. After prowling the forum for some time now I've found TONS of information about suspensions. After all the hours of reading it all pretty much all boils down to personal preference and what you want out of your truck! Haven't found too much info about strictly highway driving suspensions and hopefully this can help some other members out as well. So here it is!

Now my question is simple, I'm looking for a 3-4.5in lift that I'll throw some 32's or 33's on for my 4x4 2011 DCSB. THIS WILL NOT SEE ANY OFF-ROADING (I know that sentence may offend you off-road monsters but for me I just can't justify romping through the woods in my baby haha!) . So I'm Looking for pure comfort and looks on the highway. I drive a lot due to being a Union Electrician. Easily 350+ Miles per week on the highway.

Been looking in at the usual recommended lifts Toytecs, RCD, Icon...etc. just don't know if I truly need some top of the line suspension since I will never off road in the thing. I like the looks of the ULK , and the RCD 4.5 but wonder if it's too much overkill for a DD.

Anyways all responses will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    I can tell you from personal experience that my standard Icon coil overs offers a rough on road ride but an awesome off road ride. King and Fox my be better on road due to the different type of valving.

3. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    ManikTacoma

ManikTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Upper left USA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB SR5 Black
    Thanks for the input Maximus! Yeah I read that about the Icons, great for mobbing to threw the trails but too stiff for daily driving!

4. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    datzdorki304

datzdorki304 Truong A Long A Ding Dong

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 Silver Streak Mica
    FN Wheels (BFD), Window tint, Hardwired V1 radar, Weathertech Floor Liners, Debadged emblems, RX350 Projector Retrofit w/ Umnitza Orion V4 angel eyes, Icon Extended Coilover with Maxtrac Spindle Lift (6" Lift), Alcan Custom Leaf Pack, Stubby antenna, Tinted Tail lights, TRD Intake, Borla Exhaust, JL Sound System, Truck Cover USA Roll Cover,
  5. Sep 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    ManikTacoma

ManikTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Upper left USA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB SR5 Black
    Figured I'd post a conclusion to my question!

After calling and talking to a lot of reps with multiple suspension company's they all generally gave me the same answer , "If you only use your truck as a daily driver our spacer lift will be fine for you." As we all know here on Tacoma World no one is going to recommend spacer lifts all though some do and enjoy them.

So with that being said for us that never take our truck off the concrete then the highly suggested Billies and whatever combo you come up with with do just fine for you. I went with the Toytec adjustable 3in lift and I love it and ride was better then before while I had my stock tires on. Once I added 285s maybe noticed a slight difference in the ride but the look out ways it by a ton. And for those that care to know my miles per tank went from about 315 miles per tank to about 285 per tank. So mileage went down a little like all have said but not a big issue. Also with the 285s I have slight rub on driver side front tire only at full turn but I believe with the 1/4in spacer from Toytec it will take care of it.

6. Sep 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I use icons with CDC on my truck. Rides great on the road. They can be valved to ride however you like. Plus you said must look good= icons!

7. Sep 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    taco49

taco49 New Member

Member:
    Napa Valley
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma SR5
    Readylift lift kit, 35" tires
    I'm not an off-roader either so I figured a regular lift kit would suffice. After doing my research I decided to go with a Readylift 3" F / 2" R lift kit. It was inexpensive and hit all the important points, mainly diff drops and maintaining proper geometry. I've had it on for about a year now and i love it. Great kit overall. http://www.readylift.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=69-5112

8. Sep 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I went with icons. I off-road a bit but not to much. It's mostly a daily driver. Icon can valve them for you to suit what you need. My icons with Dakar pack rides immensely better than stock. Well worth the money for smoother and nicer shocks imo. But Fox, king, ect also would be great options.

Just have to remember that just cause they give lift and can be used off road doesn't mean they suck on road

Products Discussed in

To Top