Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help with 4WD prob

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
alpine331 is on a distinguished road
alpine331's Tacoma Gallery
Help with 4WD prob

Hi all. I have a 2007 Tacoma DC Auto 4WD. I have a 3" Revtech lift, 33" BFG Allterrains on 16" alum rims. I had the rear leaf suspension TSB upgrade to the Blisten shocks done last year. My problem started a few months ago. During a bad snow storm I put my truck into 4WD and immediately noticed a strong pull to the right when I stepped on the accelerator. I had noticed this before and had attributed it the larger tires, but it had never been that strong. Then I came across a patch of snow/ice that only covered the right side of my lane. As soon as the right tire hit the snow (the left was on dry pavement) the truck swerved DRASTICALLY to the right. I almost lost control. And now it happens all the time. Every time the right tire touches snow/ice the truck swerves very hard to the right. I though it was a wheel alignment issue so I took it in for an alignment but it made no difference. And as soon as I take the truck out of 4WD the problem goes away. I called my local Toyota dealer and they told me because I have lifted my truck and put larger than stock tires on it that it would void any coverage under warranty and I would have to pay for them to have a look at it. I realise I could fight them on that issue but I was hoping someone might have heard of this or have an idea as to what it could be?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
First off...

You need to determine if both front wheels are moving/driving when in 4WD.

If one side isn't driving - that could cause you to pull to one side. Amoung other reason, but that would be the first thing I'd check.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the hub on the right side is not engaging. So you are only getting power to the left tire.