1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help a newbie buy a Taco - lift questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by OB Wan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    OB Wan

OB Wan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orson
    Whitewater, WI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD O/R Speedway Blue
    1.5 OME in front, 2 in blocks in rear Shockworks bumper Superwinch 9000 lbs BFG KOs TRD Catback exhaust 2000 watt power source Bed lights
    Hello Taco experts! I am new to the forum and have been reading many threads (a good number of them twice) trying to figure things out before I buy a Taco. I would really appreciate your advice and expertise. I have time, but very little previous vehicle knowledge - I feel like I am learning a new language. I will likely not be doing any of the work myself unless you all can convince me it's possible with minimal tools. I will be using my truck to plow my driveway and pull light stuff. Off-roading will mostly be driving through cornfields several times per year, doesn't need to be fast. If I am going to lift my truck, I would like to do it the "right way," hopefully the first time. I have quite a few questions. If I am going to spend more than $5K on lift and wheels, I may go for a 2010-2012 to save some cash.

1.) I am big on proportions and really like the look of 35 inch tires (or 34 at least), but am reading about the problems that produces. I would like to avoid the issues of a 6 inch DB lift I have been reading about (that look pretty sweet). I would like to know if this is possible with a 3 inch suspension lift (Toytech seems to be well-respected) or if further lift is needed, like a 1-2 inch body lift. At least one person in TW did not think a body lift would improve tire clearance and recommended cutting the wheel well.

2.) Does cutting the wheel well have any downsides?

3.) Since I am planning on getting new wheels and suspension, is there any point to going with a Tacoma TRD (other than the awesome hood scoop)? This could save some bucks.

4.) Any effect on rim size with this tire size on tire clearance?

5.) Will the truck benefit from UCA's? Sounds like some people think they are needed with 3 inch lift or higher.

For those who want to think about the specifics, considering XD addict 18/9 with Nitto Trail grapplers vs Terra grapplers. I will pick new rims if backspacing is the issue that will help get 34-35" tires.

Sorry for the monster post. Thanks in advance for helping with my new-found truck obsession!

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    you will definitely benefit fro mnew wheels as the backspacing will allow you to fit a bigger tire on a 3 inch lift. Have you considered running 33's? the one inch will allow you much better fit options as they will fit within a stock wheel well better. Cutting the wheel well is an option but you will have to live with how it looks or replace it if you don't like how it looks. UCA's will allow you to achieve proper alignment and avoid some related issues with a lift.

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Welcome bud.

You can fit 35s with 3" of lift pretty easy. If you just DD and don't wheel, just do an agressive cab mount chop but if you want to stuff the tire you will have to cut your fenders 2" shorter which means your air intake hose will be exposed (passenger side wheel well). There are a few alternatives to covering it up; run the intake to the firewall and holesaw out a piece of the air cowl, easiest and cheapest method, make a new liner out of some moldable 1/8" plastic and rivet it in place under the flares or get a snorkel.

If you want aesthetics (color matched stuff with a skewp) get a sport, if you want a rear e-locker which helps tremendously with traction, get an O/R. If you think you will upgrade to air lockers with gears just get an SR5 base 4x4 and go from there.

If you want 33s on 3" of lift go with 4.5" backspaced wheels, if you want to run 35s an ideal backspace is 4.3" but hard to find, a 4" backspaced wheel will work as well.

You don't need UCAs, but if you are going to run 35s you need all the caster you can get, I would pay the money for them.

4. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    OB Wan

OB Wan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orson
    Whitewater, WI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD O/R Speedway Blue
    1.5 OME in front, 2 in blocks in rear Shockworks bumper Superwinch 9000 lbs BFG KOs TRD Catback exhaust 2000 watt power source Bed lights
  5. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
  6. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    OB Wan

OB Wan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orson
    Whitewater, WI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD O/R Speedway Blue
    Thanks guys!

I will get UCAs.

@ Large (haha, so funny): is that cutting for 35s) something any body shop can do or does it take someone with a lot of experience? Will 34s be a compromise or will they take a similar amount of work?

@ Archer: my preference would be not to cut if it will be ugly, I guess I need to see some pics.

7. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Welcome nice to see another (somewhat) local member :wave:

1.) I am big on proportions and really like the look of 35 inch tires (or 34 at least), but am reading about the problems that produces. I would like to avoid the issues of a 6 inch DB lift I have been reading about (that look pretty sweet). I would like to know if this is possible with a 3 inch suspension lift (Toytech seems to be well-respected) or if further lift is needed, like a 1-2 inch body lift. At least one person in TW did not think a body lift would improve tire clearance and recommended cutting the wheel well.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/259438-loaded-tacos-build.html

2.5-3" with 35's and he has no wheel wells. PM him with specific question.

2.) Does cutting the wheel well have any downsides? Everything from the road goes up onto and in the truck, engine bay etc.

3.) Since I am planning on getting new wheels and suspension, is there any point to going with a Tacoma TRD (other than the awesome hood scoop)? This could save some bucks. Plan on wheeling it? 4x4 and the e-locker is nice to have..

4.) Any effect on rim size with this tire size on tire clearance? Not sure I understand the question..

5.) Will the truck benefit from UCA's? Sounds like some people think they are needed with 3 inch lift or higher. Anything over 2.5" of lift it is highly recommended you get UCA's. Like you said yourself, do it the right way

8. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    What is a 35 to you? A true 35" tire takes some work to fit. I am running 35x12.5 kevlar MT/r's which is a true 35" tire and still have not fully cleared them lock to lock while stuffed. I've cut off the majority of the cab mount and had it plated back in. If you want to run a 315 (which I would suggest) you wouldn't have to do as much work (most are 34.5"), the extra 1/2" makes all the difference.

As far as cutting your fenders I would guess a body shop could do it, I never thought about that really. I cut mine with a jigsaw with a new fine blade and it cut like butter. Use some of the guides floating around in the 35s/3" lift thread. Use your eye protection!

9. Aug 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    OB Wan

OB Wan [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orson
    Whitewater, WI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD O/R Speedway Blue
    @ geek: thanks for input! 2.) Sounds like wheel wells will save me from cleaning under the hood. 3.) Elocker would likely help plowing on snow. 4.) would running 18/9 be any different than 17/9 or 17/8 with a 35 inch tire, or are tire diameter and rim backspacing the only factors? 5.) UCAs are in.

@Large: I do have a jig saw, sounds like it would be easy? I would run 34s if it would save a lot of cutting

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. Aug 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Size of the wheels is up to the owner I would think. As long as the tire you want will fit the width of the rim you should be good.

Products Discussed in

To Top