1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2-3" Lift for DCLB Sport

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by js312, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Aug 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    js312

js312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Truck: 2011 TRD Sport DCLB w/ ~63k on it.

I'd like to get 2-3" more height and after digging through various threads here I'm leaning toward OME Dakar rear leafs and Bilstein 5100s on all four corners. Theoretically that's 2.75" R, 2.5" F.

Problem is it sounds like 5100s aren't a great idea in the rear since they aren't made for more than 1" additional lift. But, I saw mention of "extended length" 5100s, just can't find any mention of them on Bilstein's site.

Any input? Is there another suspension lift that I should be looking at for that kind of height? Will it align after this or do I need to worry about adding anything to get it to? Do rear "extended length" 5100s actually exist?

For what it's worth, truck currently has the OEM Bilsteins on it. Rear leafs are the 3-pack (Non TSB) and look a little tired. Basically I want it to look a little more proportional height and length wise and when I do occasionally take it off road it'd be nice to not have to worry about hitting in the center on the running boards as much.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    I would recommend OME over Bilstein (I've had both). 884s, OME struts, OME shocks, and Dakars should get you what you are looking for.

3. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    barnett

barnett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Franklin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    16 DC 4x4 Off-Road
    I just ordered the ome 3" with 885's and the toytec 2" aal for the rear with the boss shocks in the rear, they were out of the ome rears.

4. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    zboy

zboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oahu808
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    5100s in the the rear worked fine for me with 2" aal.. Now I'm running OME Dakers With Fox 2.0 on the rear way better

5. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Thanks for the input so far!

I'm leaning toward replacing the whole leaf pack because it's looking "flat" and old. Then everything is new.

Not partial to the Dakars, but everyone seems to like them.

I'm not entirely sure about going 2.5" in the front since it sounds like I have to add stuff to deal with alignment if I do that.

Sort of wish I had the TSB springs then I'd just replace shocks/struts all around. My understanding is that Toyota won't do it for me if I'm out of warranty though, correct?

6. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    Mulie

Mulie Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Hi Guys,
    I hope this is not hijacking the OP's post, I am just trying to get educated on lifts. I intend to purchase a new TRD Sport and I want to lift it a bit. My concern is that I do not want the suspension to get a lot firmer. My wife has R/A and can not tolerate the stiff ride that I am afraid some of the lift components will give.

So, my question is what ride characteristics make the OME shocks better than the Bilsteins.

7. Aug 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    zboy

zboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oahu808
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    Fat deal on Fox ride is smooth...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/de...eries-ifp-coil-overs-562-w-free-shipping.html

8. Dec 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I think I've figured out what I'm going to do here.

Found a guy nearby selling General HD packs for a Tacoma. He bought them for one of his customers and they apparently did not like the fact that they lifted the rear a bit. The few people I've found on here who have them seem to like them. According to General, the main purpose is to help with loads, but they lift about 1.5" once settled.

So, the plan is to use those in the rear and pick up 5100s from Wheelers with OME 884s in the front. I figure that'll give me 1.5 inches in the back, just under 2 inches in the front and it should sit relatively level. Best part is even after factoring in an alignment and having Wheeler's assemble the coils I'm in it for under $1000 total.

Seem reasonable? I realized I care more about having it be a little stiffer all around and handle the occasional load without sagging so badly. The 1.5-2" I'll get is just a bonus that will make the truck look a little more proportional.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top