1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ADS Off-Road Racing Shocks - Information, Pictures, & BS Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TaylorU, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    03TRDTaco

03TRDTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the non CDC F2.5 / R2.125 / rear hydraulic bump stop Icon setup. My first ADS setup with exactly the same, and it felt night and day better than the Icons. I kept my Icon parts in the garage while I ran the ADS setup just to make sure the improvement wasn't just in my head.

I went back to ADS wanting some upgrades so we decided to go up to 2.5 in the rear, add hydraulic bump stops to the front, and put the compression adjusters on all 4 corners.

I have no regrets switching to ADS and would encourage others to check out ADS before making a decision on buying suspension.

llibrm and Dogg23 like this.
  2. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    hrspwr236

hrspwr236 X-Runner Addict

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Barcelona Red X-Runner
    Python Alarm, Scangauge II, Valentine V1 w/ Blendmount, Black Front Badge, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air Scoop, TRD CBE, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb, 19" TSW Montage, 245/45/19 Hankook V12, FLM, BHLM, 6k Heads & 3k Fogs, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Tacoma Bed Mat, Headrest Delete
    Looks good, don't know if ts the picture or not but the front does look a little low?

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I wonder who actually makes them then (If some actually does, and not Icon themselves). Have you heard that before too? I try to stay away from them because they are way overpriced for something I can obtain and custom build at a fraction of the cost myself.

It is. Mine sits exactly the same way, but if I go any higher I risk lowering my caster measurements on my UCA, not only that, it's better that the front sits lower than the rear for towing purposes. The rear will sag and sit level. Idk if OP tows at all but that's just something I thought I'd mention.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    TaylorU

TaylorU [OP] KC HiLiTES Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    ADS 2.5" coilovers, Light Racing UCAs, 2.125" rear ADS shocks, Raptor-Style Grille using Homertaco mesh and BAMF letters, MB 352 wheels, 285/75r16 Cooper ATPs, Mini D2S 3.0 HID Projectors retrofitted, KC Flex 20", KC Pro6 light bar, KC G4 LED fog lights, Pelfreybilt front bumper
    Well, it'll sit even lower in the front afte I drop it a half inch or so. Also, only tow a little 16ft fishing boat! Sold both quads and the trailer.

5. Sep 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    I feel like a lot of people don't like the valving on the icons even though they all drive Toyota's. Ii will look into these more. I think I like kings the best though

6. Sep 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    I have seen the factory they are definitely building there stuff in house.

7. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Valving can be changed on ANY rebuildable shock. No suspension comparison is legit unless it's an exact swap of parts. If you want to change the ride on a set of coilovers, you can swap # springs, add/subtract pre load, change fluid type/weight, vary nitrogen psi and change stacks for a very wide variety of valving options. In most people's situations, swapping coilovers is not a fair comparison

presta24 likes this.
  8. Sep 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    why are you going to drop it half an inch?? Trust me, unless you did a damn good AAL, you are going to get sag in the rear when you tow that boat.

I am actually very happy with my SAW's but then again I like the feel of a nice solid ride so different strokes for different folks.

I believe that. The stuff they produce is a direct plug and play and beefy for our trucks. That is one advantage to them, but I'm definitely not proud of the way they overprice their stuff. I guess that convenience comes at a price though.

The thing is Icon uses digressive valving, where the other companies use different methods, so no matter if you use a different spring or valve it differently, the disc is still shaped in a different design then the other manufacturers.

taco largo likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yes. I understand that. Meaning that all other things equal, an icon shock would ride different then some other shocks. Is that the comparison being used? Companies use different oils and coil springs. Most places will valve a shock to meet your needs. You can adjust preload and psi. All of which change a shock characteristic. Unless all of that is known, the comparison isn't accurate. An off the shelf icon shock will preform better then a real shity tuned ads shock on your truck.

10. Sep 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted

I'm pretty sure the comparison here is the actual valving disc that changes the way the oil passes thru it. I agree on all you said though, if your shock is tuned like shit, an off the shelf will most definitely outperform it. You would have to try real hard to bork up a a shock valving rebuild though. I mean like a BRAND BRAND new person attempting to do their own rebuild without doing any prior research or without any sort of guidance.

11. Sep 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    And forgot to put any shims in and no oil ........ Lol

12. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Lmao. Hahahahaha!!!!

"I thought it just needed air?! That's what they do with air shocks!!"

13. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Hahaha that trips me out. I've had so many people walk up to me and say "what kind of shocks are those? Air shocks?" I always just say yeah.

14. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Lmao. Dude in all the time I have had my setup just like yours I have been asked what kind of shocks they are, but only a couple times and the times I was asked that they never mentioned anything about air shocks. I think they may be a little more keen on this side of country because this state is offroad central.

nice setup by the way! It looks familiar! ;)

Dogg23 likes this.
  15. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Haha well thank u sir! And yeah I think you right. Everything around here is a mud toy or rock crawler. General population throws 54s on a jeep and muds the shit out of it. No "air shocks" required. Lol the other thing I hear around here a lot is "what are those beer can lookin things?" Haha classic

16. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Lmao that sounds like about 50% of the population out this way. Except the guys out this way mall crawl all day and pose flex and don't actually wheel. The rest actually take their junks out and beat them up like myself. It's funner that way! haha I have never had something on my truck called beer cans before! I get mine starred down a lot and I don't even notice it anymore. I guess people are used to seeing sedans and poser ass trucks. Mudding is awesome, but the sand is where my heart truly is. Pismo beach!

17. Sep 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    ALBtacoma

ALBtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Red deer AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 trail limo trd sport
    Hey tayloru,
    Where did you order from? I looked at dsm but they don't show on their website. I think I might get these with camburg uniballs and expo leafs

18. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    We offer ADS, we are in the process of rebuilding our site and they will be loaded on that site.
    PM if you are interested. ADS makes great parts.

19. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    Well done! ;)

Good to see ADS getting more and more recognition on the Tacoma scene...people will begin see why they're a formidable (IMO, superior) off road suspension manufacturer to the bigger, more popular companies like Icon, Fox, King. If there's anything to trust about ADS, it's their excellent build/machining quality and their outstanding customer service.

Love my ADS setup, glad you're lovin yours! :)

20. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    You forgot about SAW... Best Coilovers I have EVER owned with top notch machining, and build quality. And my stuff is not even OE!!!

To Top