Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ABS and Traction Control Light

Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Travesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Travesty's Tacoma Gallery
ABS and Traction Control Light

Well I thought I was in the clear until today. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I had my 2011 Tacoma TRD lifted. 2.5 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear. Well I had heard that people were having problems with their ABS and Trac Control lights coming on right after the install. Well mine was done by a shop and then aligned. No lights. All good, right? No!

Today I decided to put the truck in 4x4 and drive around the neighborhood some. Put it in 4 hi and did a lap around the neighborhood, max 30 mph. Then stopped, put the truck into neutral, and dropped it into 4 lo. Drove about 100 yds at 5-10 mph. Then I decided to lock the rear diff. No problem worked like a charm. Well I unlocked it, took it out of 4 lo, then out of 4 hi. All lights on the dash went off. Well I parked the truck for a few hours. Went to head to the tire place and my brakes were feeling weird. Almost like the truck was doing something when I would brake. After the second time the ABS and Trac Control light came on. Mind you this is 2 1/2 weeks after lift install and everything had been good. Well I drove to a parking lot and cut the truck off. Started it back up and the light was off. So I drove to the tire place. After I got my new shoes for the taco I left and headed home. On the way home it started doing the same thing and the light came on again (After the ABS light and Trac Control lights come on the brakes feel fine). Well the lights will stay on 90% of the time and sometimes shut off while driving, but they come right back on 1-2 minutes later. Well I called the dealership and they told me to wait a day and see if it doesn't go off.

Im guessing im going to have to take it into the dealership and let them figure it out.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Travesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shedTravesty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Bump please? Anything I should tell the stealership?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
americanrancher is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
americanrancher's Tacoma Gallery
I am having similar problems with an UN lifted truck. The dealer after 2 service calls replaced the brake sensor. However it is happening again. BUMMER. The brakes will lock up as well and I can't drive it, shut it down for 10 min and sometimes it will be OK for a day. Weird problem. BTW there is a recall connected with the brake system. Mine is a '07 4x4 SR 5 X cab.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:27 AM   #4

Law Enforcement:
Wow, never had my brakes lock up on me. Well I finally took it in to the dealership and it turned out to be a ABS sensor. The wire that attaches to the UCA I believe. Well apparently mine was stretched out during lift install. At least I found the problem and was able to fix it. No other issues since.

Goodluck though. Sounds like a sensor issue going on with you from what little I know.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
americanrancher is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
americanrancher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Wow, never had my brakes lock up on me. Well I finally took it in to the dealership and it turned out to be a ABS sensor. The wire that attaches to the UCA I believe. Well apparently mine was stretched out during lift install. At least I found the problem and was able to fix it. No other issues since.

Goodluck though. Sounds like a sensor issue going on with you from what little I know.

What is a UCA? Or what does it stand for?

The dealer is keeping my truck to try to figure out what is going on and has given me a loaner.

Thanks, Ben
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

I drove my truck to work this morning with no problems. As soon as I got to the base gate 16 miles from my house, my ABS light came on. I parked it and checked the wires that attach to the UCA and the wire doesn't seem loose and connectors are still connected with no loose wires. I turned the truck off and then on again and no light. I'll see what happens after I leave. By the way, I lifted my truck 2 years ago with no problems. Weird that it's happening now with no record of it in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrancher View Post
What is a UCA? Or what does it stand for?

The dealer is keeping my truck to try to figure out what is going on and has given me a loaner.

Thanks, Ben
UCA stands for upper control arm. LCA stands for lower control arm (just in case you come across that acronym later down the road)