Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Modest Lift Recommendations

Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Surfh2o is on a distinguished road
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
Modest Lift Recommendations

Since I got my truck a year ago I've been looking at suspension options and man it's confusing. So I'm hoping to get some help. I have a 13 DC LB with truck cap. I'm looking for 3" of lift, which is the max I can go and stay within my warranty. I don't want to go the cheapest or the most expensive. I don't plan on tackling the install myself because I'm just not confident in doing so and may not have the tools. I'm looking to spend about $2000-$3000 for everything and hopefully installed too. In reading these forums it seems like you can't just buy a kit, you always need a UCA or some adapter, block, flipped U-bolt or something. I'm trying to figure out exactly what to get so I can have it ready to bring to my installer. Hopefully that will save me money instead of them marking up the materials. Or should I just go there and say I want 3" and have them give me quotes? Also, I don't do any serious off-roading. I would say easy trails, to deep sand. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Full OME kit with 885 coils and Dakar leaf pack.

Details:

- top plate spacer needs since you want full 3" lift
- new Upper Control Arms (UCA's); HIGHLY recommended since you want a full 3" lift. (Light Racing, Camburg, Total Chaos)
- no diff drop
- extended brake lines (at least in the rear)
- recommend All Pro's u bolt flip kit
- new bumpstops; however, can reuse the old ones

Check out HeadStrong OffRoad
Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I've been reading some of that. OME sounds nice. 279 pages is still confusing. When I go to OME website, they have this selector tool. When I go through the options the lift barely comes to 2"
Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Geek, really helps!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard the spacers are bad, no. Does the OME lift get me to 2" and then the spacer adds an inch? I'll check Headstrong...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfh2o View Post
I've heard the spacers are bad, no. Does the OME lift get me to 2" and then the spacer adds an inch? I'll check Headstrong...
It's either a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer. below an inch is nothing.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
You need to do a lot of reading OP...
There are a few threads on warranty as well and still won't answer your question. Each warranty claim will be unique and specific to each person...
Best advice I can give is be patient and read as much as you can. Lots of good info on here you just have to sift through and find what will suit you.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhouse23 View Post
It's either a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer. below an inch is nothing.
I think its 1/2" for passenger side and 1/4" for driver side to make up for the Taco lean.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
The taco lean is on the drivers side...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
shore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshore990 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

shore990's Tacoma Gallery
OP, check out toyteclifts.com. They have complete OME setups as well as Bistein kits.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
I may have it backwards, then. Been a few years since I installed my lift.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
I may have it backwards, then. Been a few years since I installed my lift.
Yeah, you would want the 1/2" on drivers side and 1/4" on pass.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Was thinking this as well. In the case of my OME kit I had just a 1/4" spacer on the drivers side I believe. Nothing on the passenger.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
OP, go to my build. I have a DCLB and you can see my measurements and what I got post lift... It will answer some questions. I only spent about $500 for all my suspension parts.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are awesome. I'll continue to try to educate myself and I'll check out all the suggestions so far. Hopefully I can make a decision and pull the trigger soon. I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic buddy to see if he's done lifts before. If he has I should be able to save some cash and hopefully get the wheels and tires I want without going broke in the process. These stock dunlops look gutless...
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #17

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfh2o View Post
You guys are awesome. I'll continue to try to educate myself and I'll check out all the suggestions so far. Hopefully I can make a decision and pull the trigger soon. I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic buddy to see if he's done lifts before. If he has I should be able to save some cash and hopefully get the wheels and tires I want without going broke in the process. These stock dunlops look gutless...
It's easy as long as you have the tools. If he has a hyd lift then it'll be so easy. I did mine in my driveway. Only pain was putting together the shocks and coils. Had to go to Goodyear and have them do it. Paid him $20 off the books. I had a ratchet style compressor and the coils were too beefy. I will say this though for the AAL. Get 2 c clamps, put one on each end, undo the ubolts and the perch, then undo the center bolt that runs through the leafs, once all undone, loosen the c clamps until there is enough room to slide in the AAL. Tighten c clamps back down and then reassemble everything. Takes maybe 30 minutes to do the rear. Just make sure you put the AAL in correctly. Some people don't know that you can put them in backwards.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Surfh2o's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my quote, what you guys think?

U-BOLTS 4 for $75.96

ALIGNMENT 89.00

OLD MAN EMU / DAKAR LEAF SPRING (CS047R) 2 for $599.98

REAR LEAF SPRING BUSHING 1 for $49.99

LABOR TO INSTALL 2.5" 7 hours labor $595.00

2.5 LIFT 2005-2011 TOYOTA TACOMA LIFT LEVELING KIT BILSTEIN SHOCKS $475.00

Total = $1,957 about perfect for my budget

I would imagine the Billys are 5100's. I kinda want 3" though, because the 2.5" lifts I've seen look barely noticeable. 2.5 would obviously be cheaper and easier on the vehicle hmmm....
Old 09-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Seems expensive for Dakars...
If you go 3" you will need UCA's (approx $400 for LR)
Sucks you can't find someone to help install.
That's a lot of money for Bilsteins...

Research more... Read MOAR!

2.5" is very noticeable...

You can buy a whole OME kit with Dakars for around $1200
Look at headstrong off-road and Wheelers off-road
Old 09-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #20

Where are you getting the quote from? Local shop? As stated above, that's pricey.