1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 - Stock TRD OR w/ARB Bumper - Anything to be Gained?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MikeyMcFly, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sep 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly [OP] This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I spent some time going through threads and found a few replies on this topic but rather than bumping a 3-4 year old thread I was hoping I might be able to get some clarification here.

First, let me say this. I'm well aware than running an ARB bumper on a stock truck isn't the ideal setup due to the weight on the front end.

That being said my ideal setup is:

OME 885/886 (depending on wing)
    OME Shocks
    Aftermarket UCA
    OME Dakar
    OME Rear Shocks

but that being said, that's easily a $1,500+ setup if not more, which with a new house and a wedding on the horizon, isn't feasible at all.

I was never into the 5100 setup when I first got the truck as I was dead set on redoing the truck with the full OME setup. Seeing a thread about $172 shipped for the 5100s got me thinking.

What I guess I'm asking is, is it completely stupid to put a set of 5100s on and set them at 1.75 to compensate for the drop in my suspension from the ARB and get it back to stock height, if not maybe slightly higher.

I don't really want to spend the time and money if I'm going to put myself in to a situation where I'll blow em immediately, but on the same vein, if there's something to be gained by doing it, $175 isn't something I can't afford if I throw some old junk on eBay.

I don't like the idea of cheaping out on suspension, which I know this might technically be (since I'm not doing a full suspension upgrade) but bringing the truck back to relatively stock geometry doesn't bother me that much.

Thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Mike, piece it together. It won't cost much more. Get the 5100's they are good shocks. Try it at the setting you want. If you don't like it then in a few weeks/months whenever you can afford them get the 885's and put them on together. Plenty of people on here run that combo. You can always upgrade later since they are so cheap you won't be out much. GL

Products Discussed in

To Top