Ground Clearance

Old 10-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Ihatetacomas
Ihatetacomas is on a distinguished road

Name: Dylan
Ihatetacomas's Tacoma Gallery
Ground Clearance

Hi everybody!
So iv been wondering how to get more ground clearance on my tacoma. What are your setups/advice on the whole? Does it put other systems at risk? How much am I liable to pay for a kit like this? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
DCSBFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatetacomas View Post
Hi everybody!
So iv been wondering how to get more ground clearance on my tacoma. What are your setups/advice on the whole? Does it put other systems at risk? How much am I liable to pay for a kit like this? Thanks in advance!
Are you looking to buy a lift kit? True suspension lift kit? Spacers?

Any links to ones you have been looking at?

Need more info here..
Old 10-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Taller tires are really the only way to gain clearance. Lift is done to improve handling and clear said taller tires.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
Taller tires are really the only way to gain clearance. Lift is done to improve handling and clear said taller tires.
This. Only tires will give you more clearance.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Better to figure out what size tires you want to run and then build your lift based off that
Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Come on guys......

a standard lift will give you more clearance under the front diff, and better high center clearance, as well as improve your approach and departure angles. it will not give you more clearance under the rear diff, and will no allow you to clear larger tires, unless all you care about is ride height.

larger tires will improve ground clearance in all areas.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
thewarriordinghy is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
thewarriordinghy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Better to figure out what size tires you want to run and then build your lift based off that
3 inch for 285s?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriordinghy View Post
3 inch for 285s?
3" will be enough for 285's. If you trim in the right spots you can run 285's with 2.5" lift. Hell, there are members on here running 35's with 3" of lift.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
DCSBFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3" will be enough for 285's. If you trim in the right spots you can run 285's with 2.5" lift. Hell, there are members on here running 35's with 3" of lift.

Guy local to me, LoadedTaco, has 35s on 3" of lift and he has no wheel well plastic liners, had to bend the pinch welds back, beat on the firewall a bunch and do a very aggressive CMC to stuff those big tars.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
the only trim I could be trusted with are mudflaps.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhouse23 View Post
Guy local to me, LoadedTaco, has 35s on 3" of lift and he has no wheel well plastic liners, had to bend the pinch welds back, beat on the firewall a bunch and do a very aggressive CMC to stuff those big tars.
Yeah, seems like a lot of work but if you wheel it that hard then why not. I personally want to wait until I get some Maxtrax spindles before I go with 35's.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #12

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the only trim I could be trusted with are mudflaps.
lol, well you're gonna have take those off if you want to run 33's otherwise your tires will rub on them. You will need a cab mount chop unless you run wheel spacers and wheels with enough backspacing so you don't rub on it
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
lol, well you're gonna have take those off if you want to run 33's otherwise your tires will rub on them. You will need a cab mount chop unless you run wheel spacers and wheels with enough backspacing so you don't rub on it
I'm not doin this for a year, but what? I saw a lift and it says it fits 285s, right now I have 265s at stock heights, and no problems?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
Come on guys......

a standard lift will give you more clearance under the front diff, and better high center clearance, as well as improve your approach and departure angles. it will not give you more clearance under the rear diff, and will no allow you to clear larger tires, unless all you care about is ride height.

larger tires will improve ground clearance in all areas.
I was talking overall clearance I guess, lifting the front will give your front more clearance but the rear is limited to tire size.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #15

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not doin this for a year, but what? I saw a lift and it says it fits 285s, right now I have 265s at stock heights, and no problems?
Yeah, you can fit up to 32" tires on the stock suspension but once you lift and run 285's or 33's you start rubbing on the cab mount
Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #16

how does it if it is lifted? is it from tire width?
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You can add 1/2" more ground clearance without a lift. Change the stock 265/70-16 (31") tires to 265/75-16 (32"). I measured the min. clearance (under the rear diff) at 9 1/4" with the stock tires, new. I remeasured with the taller tires and got 9 3/4" under the diff.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #18

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how does it if it is lifted? is it from tire width?
I think you can run a 255/85 without rubbing the cab mount but yes a 285 will rub since it's wider. Even if you lift it a 285 will rub on the cab mount. You'd be better off going with 255's. They're more of a true 33" tire. I wish I had gone with those instead of the 285's cause 285/75 isn't a true 33" tire. I think it's like 32.86 or something like that
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #19

id want a fat high profile tire... I have 16in rims
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #20

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
id want a fat high profile tire... I have 16in rims
What size are you wanting? I run 285/75/16's. Next will be 255/85/16 unless I have my lift redone in which case I'll probably run 315/75/16's