1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My truck is bouncing and swaying on paved roads.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Honeycomb, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Oct 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    Honeycomb

Honeycomb [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Base 2.7L
    Stock
    I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma base 2.7L 4cyl regular cab truck. The vehicle has never been modified. It has less than 30k miles. The suspension feels abysmal. There seems to be something wrong. No other vehicles I have driven handle like this. I am considering either completely swapping the suspension or replacing the entire vehicle. This may sound extreme to some people. I am simply tired of feeling like I am off-roading on pavement. There seem to be a few options out there. What suspension upgrades worked for you? I want to lower the truck on wider street tires. Not big low profile tires however.

2. Oct 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Welcome to the Tacoma...lol

The stock suspension isn't good...at all. Replace it if you want a better ride. I, however, could daily drive almost anything so the suspension doesn't bother me. I haven't done any suspension upgrades yet but use the search bar at the top and search for different set ups guys are running and you'll get some ideas.

3. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you owned this truck for very long? Or is it new to you?

If its 'new' to you.... Did you test drive it before you bought it?? It's a truck. A truck isn't going to ride like a sedan.

If you've owned this truck for a long time and this issue has just suddenly showed up.... Test your shocks. Shocks are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Inspect your bushings on front & rear (especially rear) - they could be locked up and the suspension can't flex properly.

Brie likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    It's a 2011 with only 30,000. I think he's just not used to the Tacoma haha :cool:

5. Oct 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    wolftree21

wolftree21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 4 Cylinder
    Bilstien 5100s. Toyota rear spring TSB upgrade. 5th rear spring added. Michelin LTX/MS-2 265-70x16 Addco rear anti-sway bar.
    Honeycomb, as you have discovered it is criminal how Toyota equips a Regular Cab/baseline truck. I chose to install a wider and much better Michelin tires than the stock Dunlop's that were on my truck first. I next installed Bilstien 5100 shocks, then I replaced the stock 3 leaf rear springs with 4 leaf rear springs. I then added a 5th leaf to the rear springs. I am debating adding a rear anti-sway bar from Addco.

I have a Regular cab/ 4 cylinder/ automatic transmission.

6. Oct 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    Honeycomb

Honeycomb [OP] New Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Base 2.7L
    Stock
    I originally bought it for a decent daily driver. This was never intended to be my long-term daily driver however. It was a nice idea having a truck to haul occasional loads when I needed to. The truck is not my first vehicle. I have driven trucks, sedans and SUVs. Buying a new sedan with a good base for later hidden modifications has been on my mind for a while now. Deciding which one to buy is work in progress.

Products Discussed in

To Top