1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon setup questons 2015 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Ren4dub, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Oct 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    Ren4dub

Ren4dub [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Tacoma
    Icon Stage 3 Lift
    Hi All,
    I recently had a Stage 3 Icon Kit (with tubular UCA) installed on my 2015 Tacoma. The lift includes the Icon AAL which I read is supposed to replace the load bearing leaf. The shop left the load bearing leaf saying that most people prefer it left there because without it the rear sags too bad when towing. I find the ride to be a bit rough and am wondering if I should have them remove the load bearing leaf. I do tow a 1500lb rzr several times a year (on a 6x10 flat bed trailer) so dont want the rear to be bottoming out while I'm towing. What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For extra info, I also had 285/70R17 Toyo Open County R/Ts and ProComp 5034 Rockwell wheels installed. The truck is otherwise completely stock.
    Regarding how the front is setup: the front shocks were left at the height they came from the factory (looks about middle) so currenty the back sits higher (I hate this) - to fix the rake the shop will raise the front up a bit, but I'm thinking if pulling the load bearing leaf will make the truck ride better and level it out without adjusting the front then I might not raise the front might keep the ride less stiff.

What do you guys recommend?

2. Oct 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Remove the overload leaf and the truck will sit level and ride like a dream. Your towing will be fine as I'm sure your trailer set-up doesn't have enough tongue weight to overload the rear suspension without the OL leaf. I have mine set with the same config

3. Oct 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    You may need to run a lower tire pressure too. Toyos have pretty stiff sidewalls.

4. Oct 31, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    The overload leaf will actually influence uptravel more than you think. The leafs don't have to be flatted out before it comes into play. I can explain further, but won't bother for now.

As for the Icons running stiff, I actually remember them being valved pretty much spot on as far as quality of ride goes, but I can always confirm by taking a trip over to a friends house who has both the 5100 and Icons available for a simple manual compression test. If I follow through on this I'll report back my findings. ;)

OP,
    I'd say ditch the overload and run a longer more forgiving bump stop like the Timbrens. The bumps will cover you when towing and with the overload gone you should feel an improvement in the ride.

5. Oct 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    I removed the overload when I installed the Icon AAL, and the ride is stiff. However, when I hook up my 4000 pound camping trailer the rear drops less than an inch.

6. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Isnt it to be expected that your ride gets stiffer when you add leafs (resistance) to the suspension? My rear is stiffer now with the 3 leaf aal than stock but it feels fine on and offroad and handles a load no problem. I took out the overload leaf and am happy that way.

Products Discussed in

To Top