Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME Greasable Shackles Not Accepting Grease

Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Wheeler in Training
Speedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zane
Speedytech7's Tacoma Gallery
OME Greasable Shackles Not Accepting Grease

I have the OME Shackles and bushings on my truck and for some reason when I went to shoot grease in there today I got a few pumps in and suddenly it became hard to pump. I gave a good squeeze expecting some grease to ooze out of somewhere and instead I catch a glimpse of the bushing end warping and bulging. But no grease escaped, I took the zerk fitting out of the shackle pin to see if the pressure would dissipate, a little oozed out of the area but the bushing stayed bulged.

What do you think is happening here? I thought this was supposed to be easy maintenance. Maybe I should have kept pumping but it just didn't seem right. I am using a Valvoline NLGI #2 Lithium grease that is fortified with Moly so I think that is correct. The Valvoline container said that it was good for CVs, Driveshaft u-joints, Suspension, Brakes, and most chassis greasing. Any ideas guys?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you're running the the right 'bushings' for a greasable setup?

What you're experiencing isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I would recommend driving the truck aound - and this will probably help breakup the bulge and get the grease to disperse.

The grease exits the bolt at the center hole. Squeezes thru to the end of the bushings. At the end of the bushings....there's the shackles. Sometimes the grease just can't squeeze out from under the bushing (as you'd expect) because the shackle is in the way (tight tolerances). So...the next best thing is to bulge the bushing. The grease is going to to thru the path of least resistance....

(I used to have greasable shackles on my jeep - and this is the best way I can explain it)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Wheeler in Training
Speedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zane
Speedytech7's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response Janster, I just kinda left em alone and the grease hasn't stopped bulging the bushing but nothing is squeaking so I'm probably fine I guess.