1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME Greasable Shackles Not Accepting Grease

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Speedytech7, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nov 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 [OP] Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I have the OME Shackles and bushings on my truck and for some reason when I went to shoot grease in there today I got a few pumps in and suddenly it became hard to pump. I gave a good squeeze expecting some grease to ooze out of somewhere and instead I catch a glimpse of the bushing end warping and bulging. But no grease escaped, I took the zerk fitting out of the shackle pin to see if the pressure would dissipate, a little oozed out of the area but the bushing stayed bulged.

What do you think is happening here? I thought this was supposed to be easy maintenance. Maybe I should have kept pumping but it just didn't seem right. I am using a Valvoline NLGI #2 Lithium grease that is fortified with Moly so I think that is correct. The Valvoline container said that it was good for CVs, Driveshaft u-joints, Suspension, Brakes, and most chassis greasing. Any ideas guys?

2. Nov 4, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Assuming you're running the the right 'bushings' for a greasable setup?

What you're experiencing isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I would recommend driving the truck aound - and this will probably help breakup the bulge and get the grease to disperse.

The grease exits the bolt at the center hole. Squeezes thru to the end of the bushings. At the end of the bushings....there's the shackles. Sometimes the grease just can't squeeze out from under the bushing (as you'd expect) because the shackle is in the way (tight tolerances). So...the next best thing is to bulge the bushing. The grease is going to to thru the path of least resistance....

(I used to have greasable shackles on my jeep - and this is the best way I can explain it)

3. Nov 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 [OP] Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Thanks for the response Janster, I just kinda left em alone and the grease hasn't stopped bulging the bushing but nothing is squeaking so I'm probably fine I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top