1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Does Your 5100s Look Like After A Year

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by McPhiiil, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Nov 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    McPhiiil

McPhiiil [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC Taco SR5
    I'm planning to install the 5100s. A friend told me about his Fox Shocks on a Raptor and how rusty they are after a year. I've searched and haven't found anyone talking about the 5100 and them getting rusty or corroding. I live in Indiana and they use plenty of salt on the road. Would you suggest clear coating them or leave them the way they are?

What does your 5100s look like after a couple years old? Thanks

2. Nov 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    My,father in laws raptor all,his fox shocks were oxidized within in 6 months and he washes it regularly. I bought some 5100s hoping they don't do the same.we will see idk anyone close that's had them long enough to check out.

3. Nov 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    McPhiiil

McPhiiil [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC Taco SR5
    That's crazy about the fox shocks. From the 1 or 2 pics I seen of the 5100 with a lil bit of age they don't look to bad. I did clear coat the rear ones before install. Be interesting to see in the future.

4. Nov 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    well it all depends on where you live. Out here in California? No rust no how, ever. But in Indiana I wouldn't be surprised if gold rusted with all the salt and snow on the roads.

My guess is without a layer of clear coat and consistent washings you'll develop some rust very quickly.

5. Nov 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Captain Stabbin

Captain Stabbin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB
    I bounce it offa stuff.
    I had my 5100's on for a year in florida. 7 1/2 months of that was the truck sitting with no wash. I've got no rust on them after a total of 15 months installed. The ride is quite stiff with 885x springs. Reminiscent of my dad's old GT Mustang with low pro tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top