1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has this happened to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by vtcowboy, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Nov 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    vtcowboy

vtcowboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    VT, currently in Bozeman, MT for school
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    So back in the fall I was driving back from a day of off-roading and heard a clucking noise coming from my rear end whenever I hit even the slightest bump on the paved roads. So when I got home I crawled underneath and found this...

IMG_3304_zps3e52894e_96451447b8724367807a58a2975bad1d51daa209.jpg

My truck is still under extended warranty so I took it to the Toyota dealership, it took them forever to get back to me. But when they finally did they said they would only replace the broken leaf pack. I decided it was better than nothing so I told them to order the part. But when the new part came in it had and extra leaf in the pack so they ended up ordering a new leaf for the other side as well.

It was a shitty situation but I finally got it resolved. I'm pretty sure that the leaf had been broken for a while but was sandwiched between the other two so it wasn't noticeable. I think what happened was that I flexed the truck and at the same time hit a bump. This was just enough to allow the leaf to slip out. Luckily it went to the right, narrowly missed the parking break lines and ended up resting on the axle. If it had gone to the left it might have hit the tire and punctured it.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if they know what might have caused the leaf to break in the first place?

2. Nov 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    dustinJ

dustinJ Taco abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Amarillo tx
    Vehicle:
    09 dcsb Super white 4x4 sr5.
    Bilstein 5100 at 2.5 inch OME dakars with the big overload removed 265/75/16 on stock wheels 290,000 miles and counting
    Yep we had one break on the same side. Dealer wouldn't replace it because we had a block lift on it. Just took the ones from my truck that I replaced with dakars and stuck on there until we get another set of dakars.

3. Nov 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
  4. Nov 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    vtcowboy

vtcowboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    VT, currently in Bozeman, MT for school
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    This happened to me before they recalled it, I didn't even know about the recall until now.

5. Nov 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Rosscopeeko Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    It happened to me too, on the same side. I had the truck inspected before I purchased it at the dealer, and they told me about the broken leaf. I asked if they would replace it and they said no- this was back in May. I bought new springs and installed them myself. It would be nice if Toyota would refund me the cost of the springs.

6. Nov 22, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    the recall will reimburse you when it comes out

Products Discussed in

To Top