1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC System with 6" Suspension Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mon Leb, May 2, 2009.

1. May 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    stikkimikki87

stikkimikki87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    d44, 37s, all 4 wheels turn!
    uhh...everything? lol
    all im saying is that 3" lift pictures are like an optical illusion. They look cool online and everything and then you spend 1500 bucks on it and its not much different than what you had before. That being said, if you WANT to just do a small lift then cool get the 3", some people want that like you with family and what not. However, other people want their truck to be big, to feel like a lifted truck. Daily Driving a 6" lifted tacoma is not that bad, assuming you have regeared. The whole under powered thing is fixed with regearing. Im pretty sure my truck is faster than a stock 4.0 truck but you are right, you definitely need money to be one of the big boys. It is important to know how much money you need to sink into it, around $5k for the 6" lift, rims, tires, and f/r gears.

A 3" lift is a lot cheaper and will help the truck look alot better. But dont expect it to be anything like having a 6" lift, because it wont have the same feeling. Dont be afraid to lift it if thats what you want, i daily drive my truck around 60mph and get 17mpg. I cant really drive faster than 65mph on the interstate but thats a small sacrifice for me. But if you regear to 4.56 with 35s you should be fine to drive 75mph all day and i would imagine you would only lose 2-3mpg.

If you arent going to regear, ever, and you know that then i dont suggest the 6" lift. Also, as for as ride quality, tires are the biggest factor if you ask me. If you dont wheel much and want a good ride then get some Nitto Terra Grapplers or Toyo A/Ts or something (i dont suggest BFG a/t they suck). If you get a mud tire like MTZs or anything super swamper, dont expect it to ride as good as it did. KM2s or Toyo M/Ts are the best mud terrains for the street if you want something somewhere in the middle.

2. May 4, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO

Excellent concept of the difference between 6" and 3". Pictures are deceiving. You will get that 3" in the front and ussually that just levels it out with the back. Some may put in an AAL or a spacer in the back but that is only getting you another inch or so in the back. So stand beside your truck and visualize the back wheel well only coming up and inch and then you can visualize the overall height. The best thing to do is start meeting others with the size lifts you are considering. Seeing it in person makes a difference if height is your goal. 3" feels like it has more stability in offroad situations, but 6 still looks the coolest huh? I think there is no doubt if you want a big truck look you have to go higher than 3".

I want to be able to go airborn and bounce off trees so maybe 6" aint the best way for me. Heavier tires can make for a feel of stability as well in my opinion. If I am on a 45-60 degree incline and im turning sideways. You bet your ass i want every pound I can find on that uphill side :).

Forget about gas milage. If that is a concern that you may lose a few MPGs, then I say you are in the wrong game. If you wheel hard then shit is gonna break, its the nature of the beast. If I have water or mud coming in my doors, last thing I can about is MPGs. Shove it down and spray the roosters.

Stikki is on the money. Find a truck you like in person and then ask questions until they tell you to go away. Its happened to me more than once lately.

3. May 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Mon Leb

Mon Leb [OP] Tacoma's Quest!

Member:
    St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09' 4X4 SR5-TRD Sport, Leather, BackUp camera
    Chromed Bull-Bar Westin. Sport pedals. Round side steps bars. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 4WD Switch Light Mod Door Sill Protectors
    I called my local shop and wrote to Old Man Emu, and to ProComp for techsupport. Procomp's Jeff Blakely reply was basically what "SuperD" posted earlier. The K5073BMX kit would allow 6" lift ProComp stageII w/VSC. 18" or larger rim with no bigger than 35" tires, 4.5" Max. of backspacing.:amen:
    ML

4. May 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Chromed Bull-Bar Westin. Sport pedals. Round side steps bars. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 4WD Switch Light Mod Door Sill Protectors
    Thanks for the re-gearing's and for the tires infos. I really appreciate you guys are taking the time to explain those things to me in a such accurate manner. I'm learning through all this.:thumbsup:

ML:cheers:

5. May 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    stikkimikki87

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    uhh...everything? lol
    if you are going to jump the truck or do any fast kind of wheeling like that then coilovers are definitely a better choice lol. You dont want to jump a pro comp 6" kit...trust me lol

6. May 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No, I probably won't do any of that stuff. It's more for the look/street driving.:D

7. May 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    First off, no I do not need a stubby antenna. Secondly, as far as an optical illusion goes it all depends what kit you get and how much you spend on it. If you spend $300 on spacers, then NO, your truck will not look much different. If you spend some money on coil overs, nice tires and wheels, then yes you will get the look you pay for. These pics of my truck really do it no justice. It looks so much higher up close than you can see here. I haven't even cranked on the coils either. The ultimate kit from toytec will go to 31/2" and comes set at I think 2-1/2 to 3". I am glad I went with this, and I can still go higher if other companies get the bugs worked out of their systems for a VSC vehicle. Maybe someday when this vehicle turns into a toy and I get another daily driver.

8. May 5, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    I must say that you can definitely tell the difference between 3"-6" lifts. I have seen first hand, many Tacoma owner's go as many places than someone with 6". Plus think about your COG-CenterOfGravity. Do you really want your truck up that high? I wish they made a 4.5" kit, that didn't cost an Arm, Leg, and Soul. I say go with 3" and some 285's.

9. May 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The K5073BMX kit is 6" lift from ProComp stageII w/VSC. And I just got a word from my shop that FabTech is coming with a 6" lift kit that will work with VSC's as well.:gossip:

ML.:D

10. May 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    stikkimikki87

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    uhh...everything? lol
    i think alot of people get wheeling, as in trail riding, confused with ORV courses. Example, your daily driver 6" lifted tacoma is NOT going to do this.

[​IMG]

but it probably will see stuff like this...

[​IMG]

Now if someone is a hardcore wheeler then by all means go with the 3" for LCG, but if your the average person in picture 2 then dont worry so damn much about the LCG.

11. May 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Yea, fabtec has been telling people that since the 09's were released. you get the "We have already developed the kit, but we are still testing it. It should ship to dealers within 2 months." I've heard that for almost a year now. I don't want to be their guinnie pig. What if their kit jacks up my truck cause all the bugs aren't out of it yet. They gonna buy you a new truck since you can't return it to stock? Hell no, they will say what the government is saying about the economic relief package. OOPS!

12. Jul 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    vinnyvanb

vinnyvanb New Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 03 4x4
    What Color Rims should i get for a 03 maroon tacoma black or chrome

13. Jul 2, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    TRDnAZ

TRDnAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    This might answer your questions. Apparently this needs to be preformed after any front end alignment or modification.

Attached Files:

14. Jul 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much for those precious informations.:)
    Those will certainly be helful.
    ML

15. Jul 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    TRDnAZ

TRDnAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    Your welcome ML. Glad I could help.

16. Aug 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    WAs able to put 17's on my 09. it just very close to the rack end but u can stuill spin the wheel

17. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What kind of lift did you use? (brand)

18. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    If I could do it over again I probably would not go with the 6" kit and instead invest the money in a long travel kit. However, I am impressed with the pro comp stage 2 kit I am running. I upgraded to the 6 way adjustable remote resivor mx6-R rear shocks and of course am running the pro comp 2.75" coilovers up front. Why would it be so bad to jump this setup as opposed to a 3" set up. I understand that by having a 6" lift the COV is higher but its not that huge of a deal.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    Procomp 6"

20. Aug 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good setup! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top