1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC System with 6" Suspension Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mon Leb, May 2, 2009.

1. May 2, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    Mon Leb

Mon Leb [OP] Tacoma's Quest!

Member:
    St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09' 4X4 SR5-TRD Sport, Leather, BackUp camera
    Chromed Bull-Bar Westin. Sport pedals. Round side steps bars. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 4WD Switch Light Mod Door Sill Protectors
    Hi everybody!

1.What is it with the fact that I can't install a 6" lift since my truck has the VSC system?
    2. How come most of the 6" sold on the market specifies that it cannot be installed if equipped with factory hitch?

:help:
    ML:canada:

2. May 2, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    You can still put a 6" system on it, but why? Pro comp has one out there but be sure to read ALL the reviews on it. Not just the 1 or 2 that happen to like theirs. You know once you go 6" you can't go back, right? I was thinking the same way as you, hell bent on 6" and absolutely nothing else. I am so glad I went with a 3". It rides so damn fine and gets compliments everywhere I go. Just think about it before you jump.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. May 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Chromed Bull-Bar Westin. Sport pedals. Round side steps bars. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 4WD Switch Light Mod Door Sill Protectors
    Thanks for the advice. That's the kind of story/experience I need to know to make the right choice(between 3" and 6"). I'll continue to ask around. I haven't made a final decision regarding that 6" lift anyway.

By the way, your truck's looking great! :thumbsup:

4. May 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    You can run a 6" ProComp Stage II lift on an '09 with VSC. You'll need kit # K5073BMX and you MUST run 18" (or larger) wheels with this kit. Not sure what the stage I kit # is. I have not had any problems at all.
    Fabtech is supposed to be releasing a kit for VSC equipped Tacomas, but I'm not sure if it's out yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. May 2, 2009 at 11:41 PM
    stikkimikki87

stikkimikki87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    d44, 37s, all 4 wheels turn!
    uhh...everything? lol
    im not trying to be a prick but who the hell lifts their truck and then goes back to stock? seriously...that shouldnt ever be a reason not to do the 6" kit.

6. May 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a lot for the infos. I'll check for that n# you gave me.
    So your telling me my 17" won't fit, but why? I'll explain my situation to here. I want to do the lift this year and change rims and tires next year(33" or 35"). Budgetwise. Is it a back spacing problem with my 17"?
    Should I wait next year and do everything then?(that would be torture:tumbleweed:)Please at least the lift:bananadance: LOL
    Great truck you got there!:thumbsup:
    P.S. What company does those step bars?

7. May 3, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Quite honestly I didn't know we couldn't go back, wasn't my intension anyway. He must've mean if you don't like the handling or the general driving condition that the kit might create.:notsure:

ML

8. May 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think there are some issues with clearing the new steering knuckle with anytihng smaller than 18's. There are a few folks who have found rims that will work...but I think it's more trial and error than anything.

I think if you look for NFAB step bars you'll find them...

9. May 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i did on my 00 dodge ram with a 4" trailmaster. it was a lease i planned on keeping.it turned out to be a heap of crap, so i welded all the brackets back in and sent her back to the dealer.
    stupid ????? what the hell is vsc anyway?

10. May 3, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    Thanks for the compliments. :)

Brunes is correct. They made changes to the spindles to accommodate the VSC. This puts the steering knuckle very close to the wheel.
    Here's a pic of the clearance WITH 18" wheels. So, you can see how tight it would be with 17's. 17's will fit, you just can't turn the wheels.
    [​IMG]

The step bars are Go-Rhino Dominator II stainless steel. Truckcandy.com had the best price on the stainless model.

11. May 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It stands for Vehicule Stability Control. It's basically a computer that controls throttle/brake when the truck skids.:wink:
    ML

12. May 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    O.K. then, it leaves me no choice but to buy the whole kit(lift+wheels) at the same time.:( I'll check that web-site for the bars.

Thanks again for the infos and pics as well:D

ML

13. May 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

14. May 3, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    stikkimikki87

stikkimikki87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    d44, 37s, all 4 wheels turn!
    uhh...everything? lol
    id vote 20s over 18s, almost the same tire prices and seems like there is more to choose from with a 20" wheel. I guess 18s and 35s might be better than 20 and 35s though...

15. May 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    jrobson

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    People who don't realize going into it that it is really going to affect the way the vehicle handles and performs. I know my power and gas milage seriously dropped on my ram that had 6" and 35's on it. I just really didn't care for it after that. Re-gearing = too expensive, Functionality with a family = Not even close, Did I really need it for the type of driving I do, Hell no. I have ridden in other people's tacomas with 6" of lift and anybody that says their truck perforns like a stock truck and has not had a considerable loss in power and gas milage is full of crap. If this were the case there would never be a post on here asking what gearing should I switch too. I'm not trying to be a dick or bash anybody either, if you have the money, go for it. If I had the money to buy another tacoma and set it up with 6" and 35's to use as a SECONDARY vehicle I definately would. 6" IMO is just not a good idea unless you are doing heavy off roading and as a primary every day vehicle. Look around at how many vehicles with a 6" lift are for sale on the internet, and then look at the milage on them. You think they're that low for a reason. You can always go up from a 3" but coming down is not really an option.

16. May 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    jrobson

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    You can't really go back because they have to cut the cross member of the frame. To take it off you would have to find somebody to rebuild and re-weld your frame. Ask around at the off road shops. They'll tell ya. I have yet to find one that said they could change one back to stock or a 3" kit after a 6" was installed.

17. May 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    no guts........no glory? I have been riding this fence for 4 months now on this decision. I love the looks of the 6" and I like the functionality of the 3".

Why cant RCD just get that damn 4.5" kit working for my 09 with VSC? I havent the patience to wait.

SuperDs truck makes me want that 6" lift badly though.

18. May 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advises about the 6" lift. Is your truck has a 3"?
    ML

19. May 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Mon Leb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Man, you're making me think twice before I'd do that 6":(
    ML

20. May 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    this is a question for jrobson
    i was wondering if you need to buy a stubby antenae to get into parking garages because i am going with almost the same set up

Products Discussed in

To Top