Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LEAF PACK QUESTION???

Old 01-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
PETEREDGE has a spectacular aura aboutPETEREDGE has a spectacular aura about

Name: PETER
PETEREDGE's Tacoma Gallery
LEAF PACK QUESTION???

I have a 2012 Baja Edition i just added a 2" AAL and the Toytec 1" lift in the front.Now my rear sits way to high and i was wondering if i can take out the overload leaf from the factory pack and leave the AAL in??Has anyone done this??
Old 01-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
That can certainly be done. And I know that some have with good results.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Thats good to hear...
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
ObiWan Tacomi is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: FDNY - Bedstuy / Williamsburg
Name: Joe
ObiWan Tacomi's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Icon AAL and the 2.0 resi shocks in the rear...

Icon actually recommends you remove the overload spring if I recall correctly.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWan Tacomi View Post
I have the Icon AAL and the 2.0 resi shocks in the rear...

Icon actually recommends you remove the overload spring if I recall correctly.
There's additional steel there to support the deletion of the overload with the Icons, approximately 3/4" with the 3 stack. A single AAL measures about 1/4" so there less steel there to help support the existing factory leafs when pressure is applied over the axle perch.

Honestly if I had a single AAL I would not remove the overload simply because you will be expecting too much out of the leafs on up travel. As it is the factory packs sag out quite fast, removing the overload will just accelerate this.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

I remember asking the guy at YOTAMASTERS when i bought the AAL and he didnt mention anything,about removing and other leafs?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
There's additional steel there to support the deletion of the overload with the Icons, approximately 3/4" with the 3 stack. A single AAL measures about 1/4" so there less steel there to help support the existing factory leafs when pressure is applied over the axle perch.

Honestly if I had a single AAL I would not remove the overload simply because you will be expecting too much out of the leafs on up travel. As it is the factory packs sag out quite fast, removing the overload will just accelerate this.
So then do u think taking the AAL out and going with a 1" block would be better.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
If it's new, give it a month or about 1000 miles to settle.
If you need to get a load of mulch or something for your home. That'll help it settle faster.
You might be ok with how it sits after it's had some time to wear off the newness.

Unless AAL don't settle the way full leaf packs do but I'm sure someone will point it out if that's the case.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
If it's new, give it a month or about 1000 miles to settle.
If you need to get a load of mulch or something for your home. That'll help it settle faster.
You might be ok with how it sits after it's had some time to wear off the newness.

Unless AAL don't settle the way full leaf packs do but I'm sure someone will point it out if that's the case.

X100000000
Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

I'll give it alittle more time to see how it loks.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Direct Representative
ICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the install instructions for our ICON #51100 add a leaf kit (3 leafs)

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/w.../I51100_NR.pdf
Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONRep View Post
Here is the install instructions for our ICON #51100 add a leaf kit (3 leafs)

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/w.../I51100_NR.pdf
Mr. Icon he has a single AAL, your instructions are for your 3 leaf mini packs even though the process is essentially the same. He wants to know is its a good idea to ditch the overload with the single AAL. Some say go for it I say its not the best approach due to the lack of steel, but that just me.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #13
Direct Representative
ICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Mr. Icon he has a single AAL, your instructions are for your 3 leaf mini packs even though the process is essentially the same. He wants to know is its a good idea to ditch the overload with the single AAL. Some say go for it I say its not the best approach due to the lack of steel, but that just me.

Understood, which is why I highlighted 3 leaf in the post. I was just throwing the link up so he could understand how ours worked is all.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Understood, which is why I highlighted 3 leaf in the post. I was just throwing the link up so he could understand how ours worked is all.
So your thoughts....... ditch the overload or keep it in and let settle
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
Direct Representative

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
If there is no weight going in the bed at all, my guess is it would likely work out fine being the AAL is 1/4" thick. That is a pretty stout leaf. I bet it is pretty stiff right now outside the height issue he is wanting to adjust.

OP what does it ride like now with the overload in?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
If there is no weight going in the bed at all, my guess is it would likely work out fine being the AAL is 1/4" thick. That is a pretty stout leaf. I bet it is pretty stiff right now outside the height issue he is wanting to adjust.

OP what does it ride like now with the overload in?
It dosent ride bad at all its just to rear high.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREDGE View Post

Yes you can pull the overload, on 2nd gens its about 3/4" thick at the perch & 1st gens are about an inch...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
Direct Representative

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREDGE View Post

Well it will get a little softer from where you are at so keep that in mind, but heck give it a whirl. You can always put it back if you don't like it at the cost of a center pin and a little labor.