1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6-inch or 3-inch lift for mountain trails?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Road LessTraveled, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Nope not at all, I clearly understand that everyone can't be as awesome as me...it's a burden I have had to learn to live with. That was sarcasm BTW for those playing the hoe game on the intraweb.

My point is that people always jump on the DB bashing instantly and the vast majority of what they are bashing is not factual and it is not opinion... 90% of the shit mentioned in this thread is opinion not fact. There is a difference between opinion and incorrect statements being laid out as facts. Quite a few people are properly building DB lifts these days and there are good leafs and good CO's etc for them too so the old school mental image of " mall crawler " DB kits with spacers and blocks is not the case anymore. Trust me anytime I see someone mention a DB spacer and block set up I will drop them a PM and steer them in a better direction.

2. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Dude that's funny, I'm stealing that one

3. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    Hey its all good .we disagree. I'm not trying to be a dick. It's all in fun. So please don't take it the wrong way.

4. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Now see...that's all I'm sayin' - people should stick to facts like this guy

5. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    I do my best not to let internet debate disrupt my well being... I'd be bitter too if I lived in HB :rimshot:

6. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    Shit Huntington Beach is the best. I lived in Chula Vista and Mira Mesa years ago..

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    Road LessTraveled

Road LessTraveled [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4WD Double Cab Short Bed
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, LED bar, HID Hi's and Lows. I am planning on trading mine in for a 2016 or newer depending on when i gather all the information I need on this site to build my truck. Seems like every month I learn something new. Future mods so far: Front: - 16" King extended coilovers with remote reservoir shocks - Total Chaos Heim Pivot UCA's & LCA's - 6" BDS lift, just the Spidles & Crossmembers - T100 front axles - ReadyLift tie rods - SS extended brake lines - Larger calipers - Pelfreybilt bumper - WARN® 9.5cti-s winch - Glassworks front fender 6" rise and 4" bulge - Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood - Carbon fiber hood pins Rear: - 4" Alcan full leaf pack with Orbit Eye - King extended shocks with remote reservoir - Pelfreybilt rear shock relocator - ATO 6" shackle flip kit - ARB rear air locker - Rear differential breather mod - Pelfreybilt rear bumper - SS extended brake lines - Glassworks rear fenders with 4" rise and 4" bulge Misc: - 4.56 gears - One-piece driveshaft - RCI skids for transmission, transfer case, fuel tank, and rear differential - B.A.M.F. rock sliders - 17x10 rims with 4.5 backspacing - 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT - Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - 50" LED light bar - Several Cree LED pods - Rear camera anytime mod - Underbody LED lights - Green HID's - Green LED Fogs - Aluminum camper shell - Line-X the whole truck
    Thank you for all of your feedback. This is exactly why I posted the question. There are lots of opinions out there, and lots of different set ups out there, which, in the end, makes it very confusing when it comes down to how to properly build a truck to suit your needs.

As far as your wife 3" set up goes, what type of lift and suspension set up has been installed that is causing everything to fall apart? This is the first time I heard a 3" lift causing so much trouble? I have read that the 6" lifts are the one's causing the differentials to wear out because of the huge drop.

What is the proper way to build a 3" or 6" lift without wearing the parts out so much like the one's quoted above?

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB

Not sure if serious...Looks like a set of stock spindles with TC Gussets w/ sway bar option.

9. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    AaronArf

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    If you properly build your 3" lift you won't have any more issues then a properly built 6". Moral of the story is, build it right the first time and deal with preventative maintenance long term issues that come with the ownership of any modified rig.

10. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    Road LessTraveled

Road LessTraveled [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4WD Double Cab Short Bed
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, LED bar, HID Hi's and Lows. I am planning on trading mine in for a 2016 or newer depending on when i gather all the information I need on this site to build my truck. Seems like every month I learn something new. Future mods so far: Front: - 16" King extended coilovers with remote reservoir shocks - Total Chaos Heim Pivot UCA's & LCA's - 6" BDS lift, just the Spidles & Crossmembers - T100 front axles - ReadyLift tie rods - SS extended brake lines - Larger calipers - Pelfreybilt bumper - WARN® 9.5cti-s winch - Glassworks front fender 6" rise and 4" bulge - Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood - Carbon fiber hood pins Rear: - 4" Alcan full leaf pack with Orbit Eye - King extended shocks with remote reservoir - Pelfreybilt rear shock relocator - ATO 6" shackle flip kit - ARB rear air locker - Rear differential breather mod - Pelfreybilt rear bumper - SS extended brake lines - Glassworks rear fenders with 4" rise and 4" bulge Misc: - 4.56 gears - One-piece driveshaft - RCI skids for transmission, transfer case, fuel tank, and rear differential - B.A.M.F. rock sliders - 17x10 rims with 4.5 backspacing - 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT - Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - 50" LED light bar - Several Cree LED pods - Rear camera anytime mod - Underbody LED lights - Green HID's - Green LED Fogs - Aluminum camper shell - Line-X the whole truck
    Your truck looks super nice. From the long list of mods I just read on your truck, it definitely sounds like it functions well and isn't a typical mall crawler on that long travel set up.

11. Jan 27, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    I had a 3" OME lift on my previous truck. It had a fairly nice ride and and did well enough for me in the mountains. However, I didn't like that it lacked downward wheel travel. I also didn't like the premature wear caused the extreme angles on the lower ball joints, CV axles, tie-rods, and steering rack. These were not inexpensive items to replace.

I went with a 5" DB lift on my new truck. I am happier over all with this lift. I think it rides better, has more downward wheel travel than my previous lift, and there are no extreme angles on suspension and steering components.

For what I do with my truck, it works well. (No rock crawling). If I did more serious wheeling, I would have probably gone with a mid or long travel setup. It really depends on how serious you are off-road.

+1

12. Jan 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    OP if you are set on 34's you might want a 3" lift.
    IMO its about throwing a big tire to help with the bracket clearance.

Well those custom kings :jellydance:

13. Jan 27, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    For real :confused:

14. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    AaronArf

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB

Clearance for days on those 37s!!

15. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    curbs r nothing

Products Discussed in

To Top