1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Completing Lift - 2.5" - Sway-Away + Fox + OME

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Exhaust, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    Exhaust

Exhaust [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Extended breather, Grey Wire mod, Tundra brakes, Rockford-Fosgate sound, General Spring HDs, 5100s + 880s, Heated Seats, TRD Supercharger, 2.1 Pulley, URD 7th Kit
    I'm finishing up gathering the parts for my lift. So far I've got:

Camburg/ Sway-Away 2.5 Coilovers
    LR UCAs
    OME Dakar Pack

I'm trying to figure out what to use for my rear shocks. I'd like to use a set of Fox 2.0's with the Dakar pack but the Foxes only claim 1.5" of lift. I'm shooting for 2.5". Could I use the Fox set with the Dakar set and a set of lift shackles to give me a level truck?

Other parts to buy include:

Extended brake line
    Axle Shims
    Diff Drop (Rather have it and not need it)
    Trim Packer
    U-Bolt Flip Kit

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    Wow a chimera kit! Why all the mixing and matching?

3. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Extended breather, Grey Wire mod, Tundra brakes, Rockford-Fosgate sound, General Spring HDs, 5100s + 880s, Heated Seats, TRD Supercharger, 2.1 Pulley, URD 7th Kit
    For lack of a better term, ballin' on a budget. Most of the parts I've acquired were used and then I rebuilt/refinished them myself.

I think that a lot of these components will work well together. The Camburg coil overs are often paired with either Bilstiens or Fox rears (at least in most kits I see put together). The Dakar pack seems to be a very commonly used pack in a lot of builds as well. LR control arms, while not uniballs, will keep me in alignment and since I'm in the North East the sealed design is better because of the road salt.

4. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    My friend and I use that term constantly :rofl:

Love my Dakars. Also, that is the reason I went with LR UCAs..Midwest here. Too much salt everywhere..

5. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    Before you decide on a shock, put on the dakars, see if it gives you the lift you desire. If not you could add the shackle for desired height. During this time dont wheel or flex the shocks out as you could destroy your current shocks. Once you have desired height, take off the shocks and flex the rear axle and measure your compressed and extended lengths. Keep in mind you dont want your leaf to go past flat ( no negative arch). You will then look for a shock that will be just outside those parameters. Example if measurements are 16 compressed and 25 extended you would need a shock that is 15 compressed and 26 extended. You could use a shock that is close and either limit the compression with a bump or the extension with a limit strap. Depending on the travel lenghts you may have to relocate the shock mounts in order to find a shock that wont be the limiting factor. I hope all that makes sense, and please anyone chime in if any of that isn't quite right. That is how I have understood it, and am in the process myself of getting my numbers right .

6. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    Nothin wrong with saving money! It leaves you more money to spend on your truck!

7. Feb 4, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    Oh yeah, don't use the front diff drop.

8. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Blue, that is solid advice and does make sense. However I'm trying to disassemble everything at one time and put the upgraded parts in. From there I'd like to just troubleshoot and make shim adjustments since time is usually pretty tight for me. If I can't calculate this on paper, I'll likely just have to go that route and measure.

Research shows that the Dakars provide between 2.25" and 2.75" inches of lift.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the shock lift needs to match the leaf pack lift so that they work in harmony. If that's right, then it sounds like I need a 1-3" lift shock like the Icon's or Billys.

Thoughts?

9. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Yeah, well you would think it would be that easy. However as I researched rear shocks I found this,

Fox 2.0 performance series: ext-26.85 col-16.75 travel-10.1
    OME: ext-23.93 col-13.85 travel-10.08
    Icon: ext-24.3 col-14.2 travel-10.1
    Icon ext travel: ext-26.8 col-15.9 travel-10.9
    RCD Bilstein: ext-27.28 col-16.34 travel-10.94
    5160 Bilstein: ext-24.7 col-14.5 travel-10.2

Keep in mind I have a second gen, I believe you are a first gen? Regardless you can see all are 10" of travel, yet the extended and colapsed lengths are very different. Again, from what I understand the only way to do it correctly is measure, and you won't have the measurement until you put your dakars on and measure one side full stuff and the other at full droop with nothing limiting them to get your lengths. I believe also folks measurements can be different from truck to truck even with the trucks being the same gen.

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Those measurements get me thinking though; if all of these additional measurements need to be taken, what does that mean for people who go out and buy an OME kit and get Dakars and Nitrochargers?

Don't they just bolt the Nitrochargers right up? Could any calculations be based off of that fact?

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this. Probably over complicating it a bit too.

11. Feb 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    go with the fox, the ome are too short. ome lift kits are meant to give sweet ride and not compromise the rest of your stock setup, they are great, i loved mine but ran a longer skyjacker rear shock. just be aware that you may need to extend your bumpstop with the longer compressed length rear shock so you don't crush it on full compression. i also ran fox stuff up front on another truck. and just ordered fox all around for my jk, sweet shocks!

12. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Were you running basic 2.0 shocks in your rear or extended?

13. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Great questions. If you find the answer, let me know! :D I ask myself the same questions, and it's a little bit frustrating for me. I'd love to have a shop where I could slap on some Dakars and flex / compress, measure, take time to place an order for shocks, etc. But I don't have the time for the truck to be down, or space to have a non-op vehicle.

I've read in bjmoose's most excellent OME suspension thread, that he believes that the OME shocks are the limiting factor for flexing out the Dakars.

Here is a quote from his thread:

14. Feb 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop

IDK why everyone talks shit on the DIFF DROP, i love mine just don't wheel like a retard and you will be fine!

looks like a sweet set up man ! I wish i had coilovers but for now OME it rests. Dakars are on point though.

15. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Interesting. This is useful information to have and explains why the Dakar pack is used a lot beyond the OME kit. At this point I'm ready to find a used pair of 5100s just to use in the interim so it's drivable while I make measurements and prep for custom length shocks.

It seems strange that each situation requires custom shocks even when using the same parts.

16. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM
    zboy

zboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oahu808
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
  17. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    Exhaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    I talked to Downsouth. Good group of guys. I'd like to go through them for the Fox shocks but I need to measure travel, shock length, etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    The Dakars are probably going to get you to your desired lift height even with OME nitrocharger shocks.

Source: I got 2" of lift out of mine w/ OME shocks and trail armor.

If you don't run armor then you're very likely going to get the desired amount of lift due to the dakars and all but the softest shocks.

19. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    DSM should know exactly what you need for rear shocks to match Dakars. I'm sure they will do you right.

20. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    shocks have impact on lift height, soft hard whatever, doesn't matter, height determine by the springs.

Products Discussed in

To Top