1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install instructions for Toytec Lift Kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by L_Jackson, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Oct 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Hey guys,

Finished my Toytec install and all in all it went well. I have had very limitted exp. workin on cars and was able to finish the job. Some have said the instructions were to "child like" I think. Well, for me, not child like enough. I don't know what the correct terms and that gave me a few problems.

I have added some notes to the install instructions in hopes that it will help some of you that are like me. I left all Toytec's documentation and wording alone, and added my notes in blue.

Hope these help!!

-------------------------------------
    Can't add the word documents... 19k is the max, one file is 30k , and one is 300K, i have 4 pics inserted into it...

Any thoughts on how to post them?

2. Oct 28, 2007 at 8:31 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    put the pics in ur gallery and attach them to here from the site itself....

3. Oct 28, 2007 at 9:18 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    These instructions are copy and pasted from Toytec, my thoughts and pics are at the bottom.... ADD-A-LEAF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    Read ALL instructions from start to finish prior to installation.
    ToyTec Lifts LLC recommends professional installation by a certified Auto technician.
    For correct installation, you must use two large C-clamps to contain the spring tension stored in a leaf spring when the spring centering bolt is removed.
    Some springs will have a factory overload spring consisting of one large thick spring arched the opposite direction as the rest of the leaf pack installed on the bottom.
    DO NOT INSTALL YOUR ADD-A-LEAF SPRING BELOW THE OVERLOAD SPRING ASSEMBLY.
    THE LEAF SPRINGS DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE TO INSTALL THE ADD-A-LEAFS.
    Take note of which Add-A-Leafs your kit contains. If you have Toytec/Alcan AALs, one end of the leaf is shorter than the other, from the centering pin hole. The longer end of the AAL MUST BE INSTALLED toward the rear of the truck!
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, support the frame with jack stands, and remove the rear wheels.
    2. With a floor jack, raise the rear axle enough to relieve tension on the shock absorbers and remove them.
    3. Disconnect the E-Brake cable via the pins attached to the drum brake levers.
    4. Be certain that the axle is well supported and remove the axle U-bolts, bump stops, and hardware.
    5. Using C-clamps, hold the spring assembly securely together.
    6. Using vise grips to hold the head of the spring centering bolt, loosen and remove it. If the bolt has rusted, a hammer and drift punch may be used to drive it out.
    7. Carefully loosen the C-clamps holding the leaf pack together. Take note to the placement of any spring dividers and/or shims for reassembly

NOTE: If your factory leaf springs have a roll pin through the leaf springs it will need to be removed and discarded.
    8. With a very small amount of grease applied to both ends of the Add-A-Leaf, reassemble the leaf springs with Add-A-Leafs in place. Do not use the spring center pins to pull the spring leafs together. Use C-clamps to avoid cross threading the center pin. The new Add-A-Leaf is installed at the bottom of the OEM leaf pack above the thick overload spring. With the longer end of the AAL turned toward the rear of the truck. The overload leaf is intended to be re-installed.
    9. Install new provided spring centering pin bolts through the entire spring pack and torque them to factory specifications. Cut off any excess threads of the centering pin so the bump stop fits correctly.
    10. Reinstall the U-bolts, washers and nuts making sure the spring center pins are aligned into the axle perches.
    11. Re-install shock absorbers, E-Brake cables, rear wheels, and torque to factory specifications.
    12. Lower vehicle and test drive.
    13. Re torque all bolts and nuts after 10 miles

---------------------------------------------------------
    My Notes:

These instructions work well…. Not really any problems. Some of the terms threw me, and we kind of winged it. The only differences we did were we…

Did not remove the break lines; I drew a circle around one bolt we took out. This bolt released a bracket, and with it free, we were able to do what we had to do.

Also, I took the bracket loose at the end of the truck, near the rear tire. This gave the other guy more room to maneuver the leaf springs out, and the new one in. Loosen the top bolt, remove the bottom.

rearstock1.jpg
    rearstock2.jpg
    rearstock3.jpg
    rearstock4.jpg

4. Oct 28, 2007 at 9:23 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    These instructions are copy and pasted from Toytec's install guide. They have pics avaliable through the given link. Sorry, should have taken pictures during the process but did not. I do have notes scattered throughout the process though. Hope they help someone.
    My notes are incased in **** Front Spring / SPACER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR
    07 FJ, 03-07 4Runner, TACOMA- 05-08
    Read all of the installation instructions prior to installing this lift kit.
    ToyTec Lifts L.L.C. recommends that this lift be installed by a certified auto
    technician.
    -The following tools will be needed:
    coil spring compressor, floor jack, large jack stands, metric tools.
    1. Park on level concrete surface with steering wheel centered.
    2. Block rear wheels to prevent vehicle movement.
    3. Jack the front end up and secure the vehicle on large jack stands.
    4. Remove front wheels/tires.
    5. Remove the upper sway bar link from the sway bar on both sides. (Fig1)
    6. Loosen and remove the sway bar mounts from the frame. Remove the sway bar.
    ******Sway Bar was very awkward and hard to remove…. I chose to just push it out of the way over the skid plate so one side was able to be worked on…. Installed that spacer, finished, and moved the sway bar over out of the way on the other side….******
    7. Remove the 2 lower ball joint mount bolts, (Fig 2) then separate the ball joint mount from
    the spindle. This will allow enough movement forward to remove the coil-over. Be careful not
    to extend the hub outward enough to pull the inner CV axle joint apart.
    ******These are the two bolts directly under the disc that holds the tire. Lay on your back and look up at the bottom of the disc.*******
    8. Remove the lower bolt that goes through the shock/coil-over. (Fig 3)
    9. Remove upper 3 nuts that hold’s the coil-over to the upper shock tower. (Fig4)
    10. Remove the coil over assembly from the vehicle. (Fig 5)
    11. Note the alignment of the top plate studs in relation to the lower shock
    hole Before compressing the coils, These must be aligned the same prior to
    uncompressing the coils and reinstalling on the vehicle.
    12. Compress the spring in a suitable spring compressor. (Fig 6)
    IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A HEAVY DUTY SPRING COMPRESSOR OR THE SKILLS REQUIRED TO
    COMPRESS SPRINGS, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU TAKE THE COIL-OVER TO A QUALIFIED
    SERVICE PROFESSIONAL! MANY PARTS STORES, AND AUTO SERVICE CENTERS DO THIS.
    13. Remove the top nut on the shock that holds the shock and spring together. Note the
    order of the washers and bushings on the shock shaft, both above and below the top plate.
    14. Remove the top plate from the spring and pull the rubber isolator off of the top plate.
    15. Install the spacer on the top plate, making sure to align the 3 machined grooves in the
    spacer with the top plate stud heads. Next, slide the stock rubber isolator over the small side
    of the spacer. (Fig 7)
    3" LIFT SPACER, or SPRINGS ONLY- Remove the O.E. top plate studs. This can easily be
    done by hand with a hammer and vise, or a socket on the ground. Replace the removed studs
    with the longer supplied bolts. If you have new front coils with your kit you will not be
    installing the large spacers pictured in fig 8.
    16. Reinstall the top plate, new ToyTec Lifts spacer and isolator, or spring and isolator. You
    will need to compress the springs more to allow for the spacer. (Fig 8)
    17. Align the top plate studs with the lower shock bolt hole, as you noted in step # 8 prior to
    disassembly. Tighten the top shock nut onto the shock and top plate assembly.
    18. Decompress the spring making sure the alignment of the top plate studs doesn't shift.

******I chose to decompress springs, then put the whole assembly back into place (it won’t fit) and just sort of line everything up…. I got the 3 top nuts on, not tight, but started, so it is securely in place. Then put my spring compressor back on. With everything in the way, it was easier to take off the spring compressors (one on each side) put the assembly into place, then put one compressor on one side and compress it until you can put the bottom bolt in.*******

3" LIFT SPACER, or SPRINGS ONLY- Install the ToyTec Lifts top plate spacer on top of the
    coil-over, over the new top plate bolts as shown in fig 7.
    19. Install the coil-over back onto the truck- Slide the top of the coil-over back into place in
    the tower. Loosely thread the top plate shock tower nuts back on the top plate studs. Install
    the lower shock bolt and tighten the nut/bolt. Tighten the top plate stud nuts.
    NOTE: You may have to pry down on the lower control arm to replace the lower shock bolt.
    20. Re install sway bar, and all bolts & nuts that were removed!! Recheck all of your bolts and
    nuts after 15 miles and periodically thereafter. (Fig 9 shows the ft. spacer installed).
    21. Reinstall the tires/wheels and torque down all bolts and lug nuts.
    NOTE: A front end alignment must be done after the spacer install
    Disclaimer & Limitation of Liability:
    All lift kits raise the center of gravity, making the truck less stable in turns, and off camber
    situation! Thus increasing the chance of roll over!
    ToyTec Lifts L.L.C. cannot be held responsible for any damages or personal harm resulting
    from the installation of this lift kit.

DR_CA68 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top