1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help...alignment in spec but still pulls to right

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Subdewd, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Feb 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    Subdewd

Subdewd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pearl Harbor, HI
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OR 4x4
    I just installed my Icon lift. I called a couple of places to ask about alignment costs and found that Sears auto does 3 yrs of alignment for $150. Sounded like a great deal, considering the dealership quoted me $129. Maybe that was my first mistake of going to Sears.

They did the alignment and I drove it home and noticed that there was a slight pull to the right. Plus the steering wheels is maybe 3-8 degrees off (in the direction of turning to the left) to keep the truck straight. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to things being "not right", so I took it back to them and told them it pulled to the right and steering wheel was off center. Unfortunately it took longer than I expected and rushed out of there when complete. Get home and look at the specs and find the fine print that says comments - no adjustments made. So clearly they are incompetent or didn't actually listen to me when I voice my complaint.

Long story short, if a tech strictly looks at the alignment specs (and they are in spec), can he or should be able to determine if it does or does not drive properly? Next try is to take it to a different Sears that hopefully actually listens to the details of my complaint. The last data they gave me is:
    Camber 1.3 1.1 L/R
    Toe 0.09 0.05 L/R
    Cross Camber 0.1
    Total Toe 0.14

2. Feb 15, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    What's your caster?

3. Feb 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    Subdewd

Member:
    Pearl Harbor, HI
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OR 4x4
    Doesn't say (meaning it's blank)...first person told me they didn't have a spec for it, so I guess it's not measured. Don't know if that's BS or not.

4. Feb 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    520Toyota

520Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    C.V.
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    dcsb 6spd 4x4 offroad
    Ome lift
    The tech needs to adjust the tie rods to correct the steering wheel. As far as know they won't touch it. My friend had the same issue with Sears in Chico CA. They ended giving his money back.

5. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    Go to a different alignment shop.
    Camber should be near 0.0
    Caster should be between 2.4-3.0 depending on preference. Mine is 3.2 left 3.4 right.
    Toe should be 0 both sides.

Having caster a hair higher on the right will cure the drifting to the right.

A skewed steering wheel after an alignment is a sign that the tech doesn't care or have pride in their work.

Find another shop.

6. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Sears auto <---THIS is your problem.

I had a bad experience with Pep Boys as well.

I highly recommend not using them and going to a place that specializes in tire installation and alignments.

7. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    I recently had alignment done on my 12. I am taking it back to them as soon as I can. Mine pulls to the right and steering wheel is clocked to the right a little bit. I didn't have time to take it back that day. I will be taking it to another one of their locations till they get it right. They will take a ride with me driving so there is no question as to my issuses. Hope they get you squared away.

8. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    Subdewd

Member:
    Pearl Harbor, HI
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OR 4x4
    Maybe it is a good deal, but the work is done by incompetent or careless people. That's my concern. I'm going to take to another location and see if they can get it right (and explain the details and lack of satisfaction of the other shop).

9. Feb 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    Subdewd

Member:
    Pearl Harbor, HI
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OR 4x4
    That's was lured me into the Sears deal...$150 for 3 years. Unfortunately I tried another location and I should have read reviews on Yelp first. Even worse customer service with the rudest woman behind the desk. Two hours of my life I won't get back and the truck was not touched because they said the don't have specs for the lift and they don't have specs yet for a 2015. I'll have to check for a Firestone in an area and see what reviews they have. Just want to find some place that has competent employees.

Products Discussed in

To Top