1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding between: Coilovers or OME

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by randombob, May 5, 2009.

1. May 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM
    randombob

randombob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eureka, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    stuffs
    I've been reading up as much as possible here for quite a while now. I know I want to go with a 3" lift as opposed to a 6" lift for various & multiple reasons. But I'm a little stuck as to what direction I should go from there.

I'm sort of caught between going with a coilover setup (SAW or Icon), or going with the OME setup up front, and I'm hoping I can get some good input from you all. As far was what I want to do with my truck? Well I'm not hitting the deserts any time soon. what off-roading I will do – and I do a good amount of it just want to be more well-set-up so I can do even more – will be slo-and-go, terrain-conquering. I have a family of dogs (and girl) and we go out and about and explore and do stuff that requires a capable 4x4.

So with that in mind, what I want to know is, what will be a better fit for that kind of off-roading? Do either the OME or Coilovers have a design advantage? If I'm not hopping dunes at 70mph, is it just not worth the cost of the coilovers? or are they still "better" than an OME setup? What is the benefits of a coilover setup over an OME spring replacement setup? For those that have ridden in both setups, which rides better (and how so)? And for those of you with the OME setup, how much lift did you ACTUALLY see? Wheeler's advertises them as 1.75" lifts (885's with no winch/metal bumper), but I see some people claiming 2.5" or 3" with the trim packs.

I'd love to get "what I want" for the least amount of cost, but at the same time want to make sure I'm indeed getting what it is I want. Money IS an object for me, but not to the point that I won't be able to afford "Better," I just might have to put it off a couple more months ;-)

2. May 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Cost. That's one of the only advantages of going to the OME setup.
    If you're not hurting for money and plan on wheeling for quite some time, I would recommend going right to the coil over.

3. May 6, 2009 at 3:14 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The only real different in the two is that the coilovers are adjustable and "rebuildable" from what I understand.

You won't get any more performance from the coilovers with a spring and a shock with an adjustable carrier than you will from a spring and a shock with a set perch.

OME shocks are a low pressure nitrogen loaded shock with more oil, there for staying cooler longer and fading less. They are also powdercoated insted of finished metal, which a few folks have had some corrosion/gunk show up on their shock bodies.

4. May 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    randombob

Member:
    Eureka, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    stuffs
    so performance-wise, I'd lose... Nothing? with the OME setup? That's what I'm curious about, I guess. I mean the C/O's look nice and all, but I mean for the price of the Icons alone I can redo my WHOLE TRUCK front & rear if I go OME. And if that's the case then it doesn't make sense to me to spend extra $$ on suspension to end up at the same place as I could be spending half as much.

I have an add-on question to this, too. The OME coils are basically just longer, right? If you're unhappy with the lift – or let's say down the road I add some heftier stuff up front and lose some height I would want to gain back – is it possible to run the OME's on the 5100's at one of the higher perch sites?

5. May 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I do not believe you will loose "performance" with the OME set-up. You won't be able to adjust then down the road...but that's not all bad.

OME coils have a slightly different spring rate and are the shocks are longer. I'm not sure about the coils. You shouldn't preload the OME coils...so the 5100's are out. There are several versions of the OME coils...884/5/6...4 are the "light duty" up to 6 for the "heavy duty". OME also makes lift enhancers.

6. May 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    OME coils are
    884's: 590 # spring rate, about 15" long
    885's are a 590# spring rate, and about 16" long
    886's are 650# spring rate, and about 16" long.

7. May 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    SCHWEET- I learned something new today!!

8. May 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :)

9. May 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    randombob

Member:
    Eureka, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    stuffs
    Cool. So then, just to make sure... Going OME, let's say 885's for my DC shortbed Off-Road with the factory bumper, will give me the same amount of flex & reach & off-road ability as a set of coilovers, but basically cost less and not be "as cool." maybe weigh a little more. Is that about it?

Then, cool. After this house deal goes through, the lift will follow the next month. Oh hell, maybe the lift will come first ;-)

10. May 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    They will be fine. Some Coilovers have different valving. OME has a Speed sensitive valving, much like the Bilstiens, but they have 7 holes in the piston for better oil flow, and less friction. CO's can have a Digressive rate, straight rate (Generic), progressive, and, speed dependant. On a CO, your paying for adjustability, the machined aluminum body, and rebuild capability. Most all CO's use the same spring manufacture, and a 650# spring rate, though you can find or order different rates from 600# on up to 750# depending on your needs.

11. May 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Uhh...Yeah...That pretty much covers it I think.

Flex and Stuff will be the same as most coilovers- Improved with additional suspension upgrades. Doesn't cost as much, might take a bit more work to install (but even that you can get them pre-built if you want to just swap them in and out).

And they certainly are as cool...Good luck deciding-but I'd wait until after the house is a done deal...

God- I love it when you talk all technical...

12. May 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Thanks.....:eek:

13. May 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    randombob

Member:
    Eureka, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    stuffs

:D It's a short sale, I had the money for it when I made the offer in January... What's it now, May? So that's mucho months of extra savings that might as well lift the damn truck.

;)

But yeah it'll probably wait, just because I'm not sure WHEN this damned housing deal will actually close and I don't want ANYTHING tied up during the actual deal, money or the truck I'll need to haul on any particular day, so I don't want to take chances...

Waiting sucks.

Thanks for the repsonses & insights, guys. And hey, if you come up with any more, please feel free to add them. I'll probably continue mulling it over, but so far considering what you've said, it sounds like it's going to be OME 885's with a trim pack in the wings, TC uppers, dakar rear, and other misc. add-ons later.

basically I'm trying to end up about where fireguy's & silverback's trucks are/were at some point along their build cycle. That's about the stuff I like to do and want to be able to do more of :)

14. May 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ugh...Short Sale...Good for you.

I'm starting into the real estate market in New Orleans....Ugh more.

Sounds like you have a great plan for a suspension. You'll have to let me know about those Dakar packs- I was thinking about them but went with an AAL insted.

15. May 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    But what do you need a solution to?? Have you had sagging issues??

16. May 6, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    ::nods::

17. May 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    x2.

18. May 6, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    considering the amount of wheeling silverback does compared to the amount i will probably do and the OME set up is good enough for him then its probably good enough for me.... i was waiting to see if i could afford the toytec CO's but they are taking too long on the potential group buy and i'm about to get my new tires so f it...

thanks for helping me finally decide silverback!!

Products Discussed in

To Top