1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

needle bearing replacement Help!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Burnett, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Feb 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    Burnett

Burnett [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98' Xtra cab v6 4x4 evergreen pearl
    Bilsteins 5100's & 5125's, OME Dakar leafs Custom toolbox Custom bedstep/towhook/reverse light combo Custom Bedrack
    I just replaced the needle bearing with the ecgs bushing and I'm having trouble getting the cv axle to go back in. Any ideas? I can't find a place to get leverage enough to get it to seat. Is it supposed to slide back in easy?
    2001 tacoma 4x4

2. Feb 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    First, make sure the ends on the C clip are facing down. Next, this may require a third hand, while holding the axle in place and as strait as possible, tap the threaded end in with a hammer. When I say tap, do it lightly, or use a softer hammer like a dead blow or rubber mallet. Do this while pushing in on the axle. If you need more force, use a wood block to protect the end of the axle while you swing away with the hammer. If you beat the end of the axle too hard with a steel hammer, you will NEVER get the axle nut back on. I've done this alone, just takes patience, but a helper makes work much easier. Good luck

3. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    Burnett

Burnett [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98' Xtra cab v6 4x4 evergreen pearl
    Bilsteins 5100's & 5125's, OME Dakar leafs Custom toolbox Custom bedstep/towhook/reverse light combo Custom Bedrack
    Thanks for the reply texoma, sound advice for anyone doing this in the future. I did it alone with the hub assembly still attached to the cv. I realized that I just had it misaligned and it finally just slid in. I used a home made puller tool to remove the needle bearing and then a race driver and socket extensions to install the ecgs bushing. All I had to unbolt were the four bolts under the steering knuckle, that allowes the hub to swing to the side out of the way. One thing I can say is im glad thats done.

4. Mar 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    OP, did you replace the needle bearing with the bushing due to vibe? Now that you installed the bushing and driven for a while did it work for you?

Products Discussed in

To Top