Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Choosing the right lift

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Dirtboyz is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Dirtboy
Dirtboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Choosing the right lift

I'm in the market for a 3-4" lift. I personally like BDS lifts but I have never lifted a taco before. On my dodge I know they had to cut to fit the lift so there was no going back to factory height if want to. One question I have is if the lift kit comes with new knuckles that should compensate for not having to get new UCA's correct. I would like to keep some factory ride quality. Recently I leveled the truck using 5100 at the highest setting and noticed some bump steer. Took it down one notch and gained factory ride quality. If I decide in doing a lift I would like to do it the right way the first time. So is there a lift out there that would set me straight out the gate from purchase. Or do all lifts somewhat require to purchase UCA's to maintain ride quality? Any suggestions on different lifts are welcome and any links to the suggestions are appreciated. I have a '14 trd sport dbl cab sb with billy 5100's installed at the moment. Thanks

Here is the lift I'm currently looking at because it notes that it retain factory ride but I'm not an idiot I do know you will loose some ride quality. I have had a lifted truck before so don't be a jerk. I just like the fact it comes with everything out the box from what I'm reading.

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...1&yr=2005-2014
Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
SmaSh it Up
4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lucas
4myTaco's Tacoma Gallery
UCA's don't really have anything to do with ride quality, they just allow us to align the truck to factory specs so they travel straight down the road.

You have a few options, first how much off-roading do you do, and second you have to decide if you want to cut the frame or not.

If you go with a drop bracket lift, you are correct that you can keep the stock UCA's, but you can't really go back to stock without cutting out the new crossmember and welding the old one back in or fabricating one.

You can also go with something like an OME setup using 885 springs and their shocks, or you can even put their springs on the 5100's you already have. This will allow you to move them back to the 0 setting and still get 3" of lift via the spring which should improve the ride slightly but it will be rougher than stock for sure. In this case it would be beneficial to get aftermarket UCA's to get your alignment correct.

You could also go with coil overs like Fox, Icon's, Kings etc. and crank them up to get the lift. These would ride the best but also be the most money.

As for the rear, I wouldn't recommend going with blocks, the leafs on the stock tacomas are known for not being that great. You can either do an AAL or a new leaf pack, All Pro and OME both make leaf packs as well as Deavers.

As you can see, there are a TON of options, it depends on your needs and how much you want to spend. You can pretty much piece them all together as you would like. I currently have OME 885's and Light Racing UCA's up front with All Pro Expedition leafs out back, and I wouldn't hesitate buying the exact setup again.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myTaco View Post
UCA's don't really have anything to do with ride quality, they just allow us to align the truck to factory specs so they travel straight down the road.

You have a few options, first how much off-roading do you do, and second you have to decide if you want to cut the frame or not.

If you go with a drop bracket lift, you are correct that you can keep the stock UCA's, but you can't really go back to stock without cutting out the new crossmember and welding the old one back in or fabricating one.

You can also go with something like an OME setup using 885 springs and their shocks, or you can even put their springs on the 5100's you already have. This will allow you to move them back to the 0 setting and still get 3" of lift via the spring which should improve the ride slightly but it will be rougher than stock for sure. In this case it would be beneficial to get aftermarket UCA's to get your alignment correct.

You could also go with coil overs like Fox, Icon's, Kings etc. and crank them up to get the lift. These would ride the best but also be the most money.

As for the rear, I wouldn't recommend going with blocks, the leafs on the stock tacomas are known for not being that great. You can either do an AAL or a new leaf pack, All Pro and OME both make leaf packs as well as Deavers.

As you can see, there are a TON of options, it depends on your needs and how much you want to spend. You can pretty much piece them all together as you would like. I currently have OME 885's and Light Racing UCA's up front with All Pro Expedition leafs out back, and I wouldn't hesitate buying the exact setup again.

How much lift did you get from the 885s and what size tires are those?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Dirtboy, What are you wanting from your truck? Offroad, or mall crawl/on road only?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Dirtboy, What are you wanting from your truck? Offroad, or mall crawl/on road only?
This.

Also what is your budget?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
SmaSh it Up
4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed4myTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lucas
4myTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
How much lift did you get from the 885s and what size tires are those?

They are 285/70-17's, it is right about 3 up front and 3.5 in the back, I bought the truck the way it sits for the most part. If it was to buy the leafs again, I would probably go for the non-expedition pack as I dont usually haul 500lbs in the bed so the ride would probably improve a bit empty.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
MALLIN'CRAWLIN'
RadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
The BDS is a great lift. With the 4" lift you could always go taller down the road. The only difference between the 4" & 6" lift is a small preload spacer. You will not need uca's because the drop bracket corrects your angles. All I can stress is if you go with a drop bracket lift stick with BDS
Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myTaco View Post
They are 285/70-17's, it is right about 3 up front and 3.5 in the back, I bought the truck the way it sits for the most part. If it was to buy the leafs again, I would probably go for the non-expedition pack as I dont usually haul 500lbs in the bed so the ride would probably improve a bit empty.
Right, I'd need the expo leafs, but I'm not gonna buy all-poo. I'd get dakars first, but before that I'm gonna do the chevy leaf OMD mod
Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
I normally don't do any off-roading but I do hunt and fish so some of the places I guess you can consider off-roading. I really don't have a budget as long as I get what I need and not over do it. I'm def not going to go hit the trails and sink it or go rock crawling. So I guess I would say just a working mans budget if that makes any sense.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboyz View Post
I normally don't do any off-roading but I do hunt and fish so some of the places I guess you can consider off-roading. I really don't have a budget as long as I get what I need and not over do it. I'm def not going to go hit the trails and sink it or go rock crawling. So I guess I would say just a working mans budget if that makes any sense.
So how much money do you have to spend. <$1k, $1k-$2k, $2k-$3k, or $3k+?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #11
$1k-$2k would probably be ideal but if there is an awesome setup for less I would be interested. I guess the ome springs, light racing uca and the aal/new leaf pack would probably be the ideal route to go but idk. If I went this way wouldn't I have to add a diff drop or whatever drop kit to avoid vibration and does this route create a lot of wear and tear?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 AM   #12
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the diff drop. They are worthless on 05+
Old 02-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Thanks geekhouse. So any suggestions for this price range? I'm guessing the first suggestion by 4mytaco would be the way to go?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Can you use the stock rear shocks when using an aftermarket leaf pack or aal? Or do you need new rear shocks as well? Where would the best place to purchase the 885, LR UCA and leaf pack?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Wheelers. And you should get new shocks if lifting. The stock ones don't go high enough.

If you call wheelers and tell them what you want, they'll him you up. Just tell them you are on tw and you should get a small discount.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #16
What lift would I get if I don't use the 1/4 or 1/2 spacers in the front and what size aal would I need with this set up to have the truck level? I would like to avoid uca if possible but if there is no way around it then that's fine. Still weighing my options. Choosing the perfect lift is harder than choosing the name for my first born son haha!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
Urban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shedUrban Redneck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Urban Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I'm in the same boat here.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
I'm open to suggestions. Brag about the ome setup you have or bring to the table new ideas! I know this can't be the only input I can get out of this awesome forum!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #19

Air Force:
Ill hit you to tomorrow with some suggestions. Give me a price point so I can give you options.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #20
800-1500 dollar range. Thanks. Would like info like extra needed things also like what size spacers to make level, ucas needed, sway bar extensions? I'm more than likely going to keep the 5100's at least Till I need new ones and probably plan on matching the back with Billy's as well. Just need the in between things to make it complete. Thanks for the inputs guys.