1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon UCA's or any Uniball style UCAs stiffness?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TNTramair, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    TNTramair

TNTramair [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR SPORT
    so after installing my Icon lift with Icon's UCAs, i find that the steering is quite stiff now. steering returns to center after making a turn ok but it gets to about the last 10 degrees from being center and ill have to guide it back to center. its not a huge deal but im just wondering if anyone else with these style UCAs have the same thing going on. is it a characteristic of these joints or can i grease something up to make it less stiff?

it had gotten softer since the install and i thought ok, just needed to wear in a bit but turns out, i had 1 of the bolts on the joint actually come loose. so after tightening everything back up, its back to being stiff like when i first installed it. Any ideas or advice??

2. Feb 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    Your caster is probably too low

3. Feb 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM
    TNTramair

TNTramair [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR SPORT
    i have caster set at 2.6 and 2.7 which was as close to 2.5 as i could get it. thats wat was recommended. i dont think its alignment related b/c the steering did get alot better after a few weeks of install but when i discovered the top uni-ball joint bolts come loose and re-torqued everything, it went back to being stiff.

the uni-balls were super hard to move when i installed them. had to use a rubber hammer to get them to move in order to install them into the spindle.
    im hoping it just free's up over time with use but this is all new to me so i was hoping this was a common occurance with these UCA's.

basically after a couple more hundred miles if its still stiff than im gonna swap them out with UCAs with Moog style ball joints and see if it makes a differance.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top