LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shock torque question

Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom bolt is torqued to 74 ft-lbs, and the top nut is torqued to 15 ft-lbs.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
On rear shocks?
yep. As per the FSM.....I usually torque the top one down until the bushing is squished pretty good.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i just tighten them down till there tight..lol
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
rngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to all
Location: The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst America)
rngrchad's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about torque specs on your rear shocks.

Just snug'm up tight w/ a 1/2" ratchet socket or wrench.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Don't worry about torque specs on your rear shocks.

Just snug'm up tight w/ a 1/2" driver socket and wrench.
Yeah...Totally the wrong way to go about it. If there is a torque spec out there...USE IT. It's silly not to when you have the information available and there is a reason it's there.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
rngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yeah...Totally the wrong way to go about it. If there is a torque spec out there...USE IT. It's silly not to when you have the information available and there is a reason it's there.
Give me a break man. If I asked someone at the dealership I worked at for a Snap on Torque wrench to spec bolts on a rear shock, I'd get laughed out'a their tool box all the way to the oil change bay. LOL
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Give me a break man. If I asked someone at the dealership I worked at for a Snap on Torque wrench to spec bolts on a rear shock, I'd get laughed out'a their tool box all the way to the oil change bay. LOL
Which is why I don't take my truck to douche bags like that...I want it done right....and if the engineers who built it said 74 ft-lbs is right...That's what I want.

If you want to accept shitty workman ship on your stuff...Go ahead...but don't recommend it to other folks.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
Quote:
Which is why I don't take my truck to douche bags like that...I want it done right....and if the engineers who built it said 74 ft-lbs is right...That's what I want.

If you want to accept shitty workman ship on your stuff...Go ahead...but don't recommend it to other folks.
Ok. Sorry man. You must be the type of wrench who breaks the heads off bolts, cross-threads screws, and strips every tpi (that's thread per inch if you didn't know) on everything you've ever wrenched on. My bad, had I known you were "THAT GUY" I would have certainly reccomended a torque wrench.
My sincerest apologies.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok. Sorry man. You must be the type of wrench who breaks the heads off bolts, cross-threads screws, and strips every tpi (that's thread per inch if you didn't know) on everything you've ever wrenched on. My bad, had I known you were "THAT GUY" I would have certainly reccomended a torque wrench.
My sincerest apologies.
Okay Mr. 29 posts but I'll go ahead and insult folks like I'm a big deal.

I know what TPI stands for and no I don't have a problem with breaking bolts or threads. You don't know shit about me...and you are on the wrong end of the argument...so you try to go personal too...Lame ass game my friend.

What I do have a problem with is people who are too lazy to do things the right way and try to convince other folks that is the way to go.

We are here trying to teach people how to work on their rides the right way...and maybe a rear shock isn't of crucial importance...but teach them to blow off the factory/manu spec for this...and maybe next insted of asking and getting your lazy ass answer...they'll just skip it and warp their head or snap some 5 ft-lb bolt...No biggie right...cause it's not YOUR ride.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
Quote:
Okay Mr. 29 posts but I'll go ahead and insult folks like I'm a big deal.

I know what TPI stands for and no I don't have a problem with breaking bolts or threads. You don't know shit about me...and you are on the wrong end of the argument...so you try to go personal too...Lame ass game my friend.

What I do have a problem with is people who are too lazy to do things the right way and try to convince other folks that is the way to go.

We are here trying to teach people how to work on their rides the right way...and maybe a rear shock isn't of crucial importance...but teach them to blow off the factory/manu spec for this...and maybe next insted of asking and getting your lazy ass answer...they'll just skip it and warp their head or snap some 5 ft-lb bolt...No biggie right...cause it's not YOUR ride.
The OP was asking about a REAR SHOCK. Not a head bolt/stretch bolt.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The OP was asking about a REAR SHOCK. Not a head bolt/stretch bolt.
Okay...So my initial statement stands...There is a factory spec for it and that was determined by someone who used a better method than "Just tighten it till it's tight"

I trust them alot more than I trust you....and I'll tell other folks 1) to use the factory spec...and 2) ignore your lazy ass way to answering the problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
Quote:
Okay...So my initial statement stands...There is a factory spec for it and that was determined by someone who used a better method than "Just tighten it till it's tight"

I trust them alot more than I trust you....and I'll tell other folks 1) to use the factory spec...and 2) ignore your lazy ass way to answering the problem.
Alright....well my post still stands use a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. Snug it up real good. I'm not LAZY, I just must have less spare time than you. If I looked through a FSM (factory service manual) everytime to check and see if a bolt had a torque spec I would make NO money at all.

I could care less if you trust me or not. Everyone on here has the right to ignore me. So well, you should ignore me, as I can see I really bring out the better half in you.
-Cheers -