Notices

Questions about lifting Tacoma

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
The Russian
sava is on a distinguished road
sava's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about lifting Tacoma

FNG here.(fukin new guy)

Got myself a 2006 Access Cab 4x4 Tacoma 6-Speed 4.0 V6.
75% city driving
20% towing (dirtbikes, jet skiis, boat, camping gear, and household crap)
5% off road/hunting/fishing

I want to lift it, and I have been doing my research on this site.
I pretty much took the most popular ideas, and decided to copy them for myself...
I'm gonna keep the truck for a while, so reliability and durability are of high priority.

I was thinking about going with the Toytech Coilovers set at 3", Bilstein 5100 set at 1.5" and the AAL 2" for the rear. The .5" in the rear should settle in and hopefully I'll be at 3.0" front & rear. I also want to run Moto Metal 951 rims with 285/75/16 tires.

I pretty much want my Taco to look like this....

Now for my questions:

1. With the above setup, will I need UCA's to help with rubbing/alignment? If so, would the Light Racing ones work, or should I opt for the Total Chaos?
2. Would there be vibration/noises from setting the lift at 3.5" rather than 3"?
3. Would I need a differential drop and sway bar relocator as well?
4. Is there a cheaper lift kit that will offer the same results???
I am a full time college student and part time employee. Money is hard to make, and even harder to save.
If any of you know sites that offer the above stated products at good prices, please let me know, and it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Lets see: Welcome...Enjoy the board!!

I didn't want a 6 inch lift cause it's all drop bracket which limits ground clearance, requires frame cutting, and monkey business I'm not interested in....You can still regear up like one set for a 3 inch lift w/ 33" tires. Go 3.73 to 4.10-If you have money to burn or the desire.

The 2.5" to 3" thing is about the over/under on alignment issues-Below 2.5" no one seems to have problems, but over that sees some problems develop sometimes. You can get a full three inches non adjustable with the OME springs and shocks replacement. You can have adjustability with Toytec, Icon, and SAW coilovers.

I like the OME lift (that's what I bought) and give me a few days and I'll have photos of an 08 AC on a 3 inch lift.

Yes you can fit 33's with some trimming under the fender.

What size rims do you want?? Smaller than 16 probably won't clear the caliper. Greater than 4.5 inch back space won't clear the strut. Offset should be between 0 and -12 for the most part for an 7-8inch rim.
After that....You gotta pick a rim flavor (chrome, brushed, black, etc) and a type of tire. Lots of folks like Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm getting a set of a Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. Toyo makes a good time as does BFGoodrich.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
The Russian
sava is on a distinguished road
sava's Tacoma Gallery
As far as trimming goes, what exactly is "trimmed"?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Some people with 33's have to modify the body mount to get rid of some rubbing
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sava View Post
As far as trimming goes, what exactly is "trimmed"?
Cutting under neath the wheel well so the tire doesnt make a rubbing noise when you turn left or right.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
hey brunes, what all in your ome? I didn't know you went ome
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
hey brunes, what all in your ome? I didn't know you went ome
I ordered 885 Coils and a Wheelers 3-Pack AAL with OME shocks for all four corners. Got Goodrich Braided SS Lines for all four corners with DOT4 fluid. Got TC UCA's.

Install is probably weekend after next.

As far as the trimming sava- You'll most likely have to trim some of the plastic out of the wheel well. I didn't realize folks were trimming body mount for 33's...but if they must.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
3" is about the maximum you want to lift a 4x4 without a major refit. You'll chew up your CVs if you go any higher than that. For the Toytec Coilovers, the Bilsteins need to be set to the lowest setting. You'll still get 3" of lift. I have the Light Racing UCAs on mine. I think for the amount of off-roading you do, they'll be fine. You'll definitely want a diff drop kit, even at 3".
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Redfox458 will become famous soon enough

Redfox458's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
3" is about the maximum you want to lift a 4x4 without a major refit. You'll chew up your CVs if you go any higher than that. For the Toytec Coilovers, the Bilsteins need to be set to the lowest setting. You'll still get 3" of lift. I have the Light Racing UCAs on mine. I think for the amount of off-roading you do, they'll be fine. You'll definitely want a diff drop kit, even at 3".
If I have a rear tsb and 5100s set at 2.5" up front, will I need new UCAs and a diff drop kit?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox458 View Post
If I have a rear tsb and 5100s set at 2.5" up front, will I need new UCAs and a diff drop kit?
You probably don't need the diff drop kit but I would probably get it just to be safe. It's not that much money (I think it's about $30). Also, you don't really need UCAs but the camber will be slightly noticeable. The wheels will look like this \ / from the front (not that extreme though). Some have commented that they didn't like the feel of the front wheels with the truck set to 2.5 with the stock UCAs. Some commented that it felt like it was drifting on the highway. I didn't have any problems though when mine was set up like that. I added the coilover and UCAs because I got a good deal on a group buy, not because the truck felt weird. If you're worried about it, you could always set the 5100s to 1.75 instead.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
You probably don't need the diff drop kit but I would probably get it just to be safe. It's not that much money (I think it's about $30). Also, you don't really need UCAs but the camber will be slightly noticeable. The wheels will look like this \ / from the front (not that extreme though). Some have commented that they didn't like the feel of the front wheels with the truck set to 2.5 with the stock UCAs. Some commented that it felt like it was drifting on the highway. I didn't have any problems though when mine was set up like that. I added the coilover and UCAs because I got a good deal on a group buy, not because the truck felt weird. If you're worried about it, you could always set the 5100s to 1.75 instead.
Awwwwww the 1.75 means less tire under there!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox458 View Post
Awwwwww the 1.75 means less tire under there!
Only if you're worried about it. 2.5 worked fine for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #13

Hmmmm ok good. I wish the fabtech 6" lifts were cheaper and required less work!