Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

differential drop

Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
nurseboy has a spectacular aura aboutnurseboy has a spectacular aura about

nurseboy's Tacoma Gallery
differential drop

just to clarify before i go under the truck. Since I just lifted the front end of the truck and its already on all 4 tires, is it still necessary for me to jack up the truck a few inches, put on jack stands, then lower the front diff to put the spacers in for the differential drop (from the ultimate lift kit from toytec). Or will I be good to go to just put a floor jack under the diff, unbolt and lower it a few inches to put the spacers in? I don't want to work more then I need to. Thanks....
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You dont need to lift the truck.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #3

I love this forum, especially Chris because of all the info and the fastest replies ever! Thanks man
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseboy View Post
I love this forum, especially Chris because of all the info and the fastest replies ever! Thanks man
LOL, Your welcome.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

I'm a failure with working on this truck....

So I just attempted to do this and failed. I was unable to take of the nut on top because of its hard location + that shit is just really on tight (going at it tired and hungry). I am at a time constraint and needed to stop because I have work tonight. Any suggestions next time I try? And I know relentlesstaco said I DO need to put them on because im 4x4, but will I F**k something up that bad that I absolutely can't drive? Please say no because its my only transportation to work. work is about 15 miles. I can work on it again thursday afternoon...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseboy View Post
I'm a failure with working on this truck....

So I just attempted to do this and failed. I was unable to take of the nut on top because of its hard location + that shit is just really on tight (going at it tired and hungry). I am at a time constraint and needed to stop because I have work tonight. Any suggestions next time I try? And I know relentlesstaco said I DO need to put them on because im 4x4, but will I F**k something up that bad that I absolutely can't drive? Please say no because its my only transportation to work. work is about 15 miles. I can work on it again thursday afternoon...
Unless it's something you have done a number of times, like an oil change, it's never good to start a project when there is a chance you may not finish it. My suggestion will be wait till you have all day to work on it so there will be no rushing, don't want to forget to tighten something.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
you'll be fine driving w/o it. i've been driving w/o the dif drop since october. I just ordered it last week. it wont hurt to wait a few days
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
you'll be fine driving w/o it. i've been driving w/o the dif drop since october. I just ordered it last week. it wont hurt to wait a few days
i hope so. this is going to make me feel more re-assured and not worry rest of my night shift here at work
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #11

just got back from trying to do the diff drop again and my dad tried to loosen the bolt for me and asked to see it. when he compared it, he pointed out that the bolt is going to be way to long, about 1/2-1inch to long...do you guys think they supplied me with the wrong bolt, the lenght is 8 1/4 inches long...here are pics to show what i mean.

you can see where the bottom of the threads are way above to where i can bolt down to the frame. Am I just eyeing it wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
differential drop-img_2551.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think the bolt is only supposed to be about 6 inches long..
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
I think the bolt is only supposed to be about 6 inches long..
if it is, then i got screwed. Ill be calling toytec tomorrow. Hopefully they fix it even though I ordered this from them back in April 1. I just never had the chance to put it on.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
╒╪╕

check the instruction piece of paper that came with it, i know it says how long the bolt is. I just read it yesterday morning and im pretty sure it said about 6", but i could be wrong, and i threw the paper away
Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
check the instruction piece of paper that came with it, i know it says how long the bolt is. I just read it yesterday morning and im pretty sure it said about 6", but i could be wrong, and i threw the paper away
I already contacted toytec and they said they sent me the diff drop kit for the older tacoma. They shipped me new bolts today.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
╒╪╕

sweet. a trick to un-bolting the OEM crap (if you dont have an impact), stick a wrench on top, have a buddy hold it, put a socket on the bottom and stick a pipe on it. this will make it a lot easier