Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Difference between 5100 and 5125 in rear

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between 5100 and 5125 in rear

What is the difference between the 5100 and 5125 in the rear? I know that the 5125 is longer, but what benefit would it give me to put the 5125s in the back vs 5100. Im buying a new house, so the OME kit is out. Im at looking at 1.75 to 2.5 in the front (prob 1.75) and AAL in the back.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's and 5125's are valved the same, but the 5125's require the use of an adapter to fit the stock top mount. Personally, the 5100's are good for up to 2" rear lift. Im running the 5100's in the rear and am quite happy.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The 5100's and 5125's are valved the same, but the 5125's require the use of an adapter to fit the stock top mount. Personally, the 5100's are good for up to 2" rear lift. Im running the 5100's in the rear and am quite happy.
You know its funny, I almost just PMed you instead of posting because I knew you would know..ha.
Thanks sir.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
You know its funny, I almost just PMed you instead of posting because I knew you would know..ha.
Thanks sir.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
1 more question for you....1.75 or 2.5 in the front. I drive a TON to work and back. I dont want to risk any driveline vibrations. I might go the 285 route. Maybe a silly question, but what about a little bigger like 275? I alss have the dreaded bump on takeoff. Ive checked everything, and nothings loose.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
1 more question for you....1.75 or 2.5 in the front. I drive a TON to work and back. I dont want to risk any driveline vibrations. I might go the 285 route. Maybe a silly question, but what about a little bigger like 275?
The higher you lift, the more firm your truck will ride. 285's will fit, but you will rub alot. Also, the higher you lift, the more Caster you loose, and may have some wandering when on the road. 275's would be a good size, but I think its kinda rare.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
The higher you lift, the more firm your truck will ride. 285's will fit, but you will rub alot. Also, the higher you lift, the more Caster you loose, and may have some wandering when on the road. 275's would be a good size, but I think its kinda rare.
Yea, I never really heard much about 275. Now to the other part. I have the dreaded bump on stop and takeoff. I have read alot about axl wrap etc. I have checked everything and nothings loose. Now what?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Yea, I never really heard much about 275. Now to the other part. I have the dreaded bump on stop and takeoff. I have read alot about axl wrap etc. I have checked everything and nothings loose. Now what?
If its the bump that happens on stopping AND starting, it may be the slip joint in your drive shaft..You need to take it apart, and put some grease in it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
did you install an add a leaf yet?? if not......installing one will help alot with axle wrap.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If its the bump that happens on stopping AND starting, it may be the slip joint in your drive shaft..You need to take it apart, and put some grease in it.
this is a good idea too....i had to do mine when i first got my truck...and it helped a bit.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
did you install an add a leaf yet?? if not......installing one will help alot with axle wrap.
Nope, not yet. Is this bad?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Is there any pics of this? Im not real good on a truck, as this is my first, and only had front wheel drive cars prior.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Is there any pics of this? Im not real good on a truck, as this is my first, and only had front wheel drive cars prior.
i didnt take pics, but basically,what you do........where the drive shaft goes into the rear diff..........you'll break the 4 bolts loose on the knuckle and take the shaft apart. then...you'll clean the area real good-i had to run some sandpaper around mine cause it was real rusty-, then you'll reinstall the shaft and grease it. you will need to put the truck in neutral....and do all this on a flat surface....so you can get the shaft to line back up.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
i didnt take pics, but basically,what you do........where the drive shaft goes into the rear diff..........you'll break the 4 bolts loose on the knuckle and take the shaft apart. then...you'll clean the area real good-i had to run some sandpaper around mine cause it was real rusty-, then you'll reinstall the shaft and grease it. you will need to put the truck in neutral....and do all this on a flat surface....so you can get the shaft to line back up.
Say Im not real keen on doing this. How much do you think a shop would charge?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
that i couldnt really tell ya, since rates are different everywhere. now...if you have a trusted mechanic somewhere close by.....im sure they would work with you on good price to do it.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
that i couldnt really tell ya, since rates are different everywhere. now...if you have a trusted mechanic somewhere close by.....im sure they would work with you on good price to do it.
What Will said, and to add, A drive line shop would be the best bet, or If there are any members in your area that could lend a hand. Be sure the Drive shaft is lined up EXACTLY how it was when removed, or vibes may be present.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #17

Quote:
What Will said, and to add, A drive line shop would be the best bet, or If there are any members in your area that could lend a hand. Be sure the Drive shaft is lined up EXACTLY how it was when removed, or vibes may be present.
i shoulda mentioned lining it back us as it came off...................i marked mine with a yellow paint pen so it went back the same way it came off.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
i shoulda mentioned lining it back us as it came off...................i marked mine with a yellow paint pen so it went back the same way it came off.
Perfect.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #19

Thanks fellas. Greatly appreciated. Im not sure that I can tackle this on my own. As far as members go, I know there is only one and hes not that close.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
disassemble is a name known to alldisassemble is a name known to alldisassemble is a name known to alldisassemble is a name known to alldisassemble is a name known to alldisassemble is a name known to all
disassemble's Tacoma Gallery
just ordered 3/4th hour glass bushings from 4wheelparts.com done deal.