1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damned squeaky leafs again!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by badguybuster, May 21, 2009.

1. May 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I posted a few weeks ago about my leaf pack squeaking. You all suggested driving through some water. Which worked for a bit. When I put my AAL's on, I greased the shit out of the hole thing but it is at it again. I tried hosing it out at the car wash, no luck, so I sprayed it with WD 40, no luck. I am frustrated as hell. It seems to come from the mounting bolts on either end. Any suggestions other than setting it on fire??

2. May 21, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    loosen the lounting bolts a tad and spray down between them and the leafs with somewhite lithium grease or some type dry moly lube then tighten them back up. wd-40 isnt too good to use,cause it attracts dirt and dust.

3. May 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  4. May 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Ok. I will give it a shot this weekend. If I dont' flip out first.

5. May 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    -1 on flipping out...high blood pressure sucks. LOL

6. May 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    Make sure the bolts that attach the leafs to the truck are torqued properly. I believe there is a bushing in there that will not work properly unless it is torqued to spec. When it is torqued to spec, it prevents the squeeking and other noises coming from that area.

This just recently happened with my truck. It was pretty loud too. The probably was the front bolt on the drivers side leaf wasn't as tight as it should be.

7. May 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well, I tried that and it didn't stop the squeaking..so I set her on fire and rolled her down a hill.......(ok, not really). I took the leaf pack apart and greased the whole thing. Nice and quiet now.

8. May 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I get the squeaking every few months. I finally pin pointed the exact point where the squeak comes from.

[​IMG]

Shove a large screwdriver between the top leaf and the second one down. Pry them about 1/8 inch apart. Spray some silicone lube right on the pad. It works perfectly for me.

9. May 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks. I will remember that for next time. I disassembled the pack and lubed the whole damn thing.:eek: Anyone know what the torque specs are. If not I can check on TTORA. Thanks

10. May 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Yeh I do the same with the leafs, another good way to spread the leafs is to jack up the back of the truck by its frame, and let the axle hang, it will stretch the leafs out enough that you can spray in between where it squeaks!

11. May 22, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    This is the 2nd time I have had to fix it plus the dealer fixed it once. what a pain in the ass.

Products Discussed in

To Top