1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cheap way to add a couple inches

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by twells91, May 22, 2009.

1. May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    twells91

twells91 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Rabun County Georgia/Athens
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    N-Fab Perunner Light bar w/ KC Slimlites, N-Fab nerf steps, Revtek 3" lift w/ super springs in the rear and Bilstein 5100s all the way around
    currently i have a 3" Revtek lift of my 07 Tacoma. I'm looking for a way to add a couples inches to fit 285s nicely w/out rubbing. I looked at adding new bilstein 5100s but don't know if they will do the job. any advice?

2. May 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!
    Bad idea to "Stack lifts". You may need to consider a drop bracket lift. Those range from 4" lift to 6" lift.

3. May 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    3" is about as high as you can go cheaply without buying a fullblown kit like Procomp or Trailmaster (4-6") lifts.

You're better off going with a body lift.

4. May 22, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    twells91

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    N-Fab Perunner Light bar w/ KC Slimlites, N-Fab nerf steps, Revtek 3" lift w/ super springs in the rear and Bilstein 5100s all the way around
    thanks, i considered a body lift, but have always been slightly against them. but if i do go with a 1"-2" body lift, i want to make the ride softer by putting a new set of shocks, any suggestions?

5. May 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    allupinsydeyou

allupinsydeyou Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    v8 swapped yota. dyno tuned @ 400hp
    modified total chaos uppers and lowers... king coilovers, deaver leafs, full cage, 351w motor swap, etc..
    yeaaa... umm.. i would strongly strongly recommend steering clear of any body lift at all. they are hideous and unsafe. drop bracket lifts imo are hideous but better than a body lift. drop brackets give you absolutely no more ground clearance and look like a gaping hunck of shit plate bolted to the truck. but then again... im the low and wide pro 4 truck kinda guy....

whatever you do, dont do cheap. this is the world of trucks man. you get what you pay for. im rather sure you dont want to die because your cheap lift broke and sent you head first into a wall.

6. May 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    twells91

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    thats the way ive always felt about body lifts, but figured i would keep my options open. My problem is i wanna gain an inch or two and fit 285s w/out rubbing much rubbing. should i just ditch the revtek and just get complete OME kit? but ive already got a block w/ the super springs in the rear.

7. May 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    modified total chaos uppers and lowers... king coilovers, deaver leafs, full cage, 351w motor swap, etc..
    that i couldnt tell you. ive never personally dealt with a ome kit. what is the purpose of wanting to run 33's? any particular reason? you do realize a re-gear would be in your best interest if you run that size tire correct?

8. May 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    twells91

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    re-gear? but i was wanting 33 to get that extra ground clearance and allowing the truck to sit up more than w/ the 265s i got on it now

9. May 22, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    cstainton

cstainton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4X4 SR5 v6 Short Bed, Manual
    6in Procomp Lift, Chrome Bull Bar, Billet Grille, TRD CAI, Tacoma seat covers, Kenwood 6in Nav/DVD/Music player, Viper alarm system, Tinted Tails, Rear Diff Breather Ext.
    I have a 6in Procomp lift and i think it was well worth the money.. No Complanits here and i love how it looks.

10. May 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    yes. re-gear. your adding more rotating mass to your driveline. larger tires take a longer time to make one revolution then the stock ones. i know i see people on here sayin you can go to 33's and have no issue... but i now beg to differ. it still plays hell on your driveline and i have pictures of what it did to a buddys transmission once we cracked it open. and he thought the same as yall did... it would be fine on 33's. well it wasnt. so you will have to look into getting your rear end geared (and front diff if your 4x4).

and yes the drop kit will be fine for what you need your truck to do. im still looking at this site like a desert racing aspect which is the area i have the most knowledge in. in desert racing, drop lifts and whatnot... yea right. low and wide and longtravel is where we are. :)

11. May 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    basically the only real solution to what you are asking is a drop bracket lift... i'll explain my reasoning.

body lift - it would get the fenders and firewall up and away from your tires, however the biggest problem most people experience with rubbing issues is the front cab mount, which in this case would still be in the exact same spot as before, thus requiring modification.

OME or similar lift - i doubt this would help you much considering you said you already have a revtek 3" lift. now this may not be the best or highest quality lift on the market however it still does the job. thus replacing it with another lift would simply be spending money for a better setup with the same amount of lift.

my advise to you would be to decide how much you really want to run this size tire, then do ALOT of research on different wheel setups as this plays a huge role in how much rubbing you will experience. from there decide if thats what you want then accept the fact that you will have to do some chopping to make them clear on anything other than a normal road.

12. May 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    twells91

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    thanks for all the advice... i'll let yall know how it all turns out.

Products Discussed in

To Top