1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec Lift Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Big Guns, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Nov 9, 2007 at 12:33 PM
    Big Guns

Big Guns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    Okay, so i know there are a lot of threads about the toytec 3" lift out there, but ive spread around some questions and just decided to consolidate to one thread...

:confused::confused:

I am looking at the 3" pro basic and coil lifts. What are your opinions vs. either? I figre the coil setup would give me a better ride, but is it worth the couple extra bucks? What is the more popular of the bunch.

AAL or Block?

How is ease of install? Im somewhat mechanically inclined, but i dont know what goes into the install and dont want to get in over my head halfway through ripping apart my front end. I dont have a coil compressor so would i need that if i opt for the spacers instead of the coilover?

I know its a lot of quesitons, but i have never done much research on a spacer lift, always looking at big time suspension lifts so this is all somewhat new to me. I appreciate any feedback/comments you guys have.

Thanks!

2. Nov 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I don't know much about the coil lift. I have a spacer lift on order.....should be at my house on Teusday. From what I understand, the spacer lift at least, requires only basic tools and knowledge + the coil compressor. Most of the chain part stores have loaner programs where you could borrow the compressor. I believe Toytec recomends the AAL as opposed to the block.
    There is a section on the Toytec site with FAQ. If you havn't checked that out, there is some good info there.

3. Nov 9, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    Big Guns

Big Guns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    Ill check it out. Thanks.

4. Nov 9, 2007 at 1:26 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm no mechanic, but I am completely confident that the install will go smoothly in my driveway.

5. Nov 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM
    crewchief97

crewchief97 New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Off Road Super White
    I did the front spacers in my driveway by myself in approx 4 hours and I have the AAL leaf in the back. The instructions for the spacer install where pretty good, on the other hand the rear was not. In my opinion, the AAL was more of a pain in the backside to install. According to the instructions, you can install the extra leaf without removing the rear spring, I could not. I ended up just removing the rear spring completely. Good luck with your install and an impact gun (elec or air) will greatly speed up the spring compressing.

-Brian

6. Nov 12, 2007 at 6:31 PM
    LQQKatmy06

LQQKatmy06 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    T-VILLE, NC
    06 SR5 V6 DC LB TRD Sport 4x4 AUTO. 3" TOYTEC 885 coils w/AALs, ALL-PRO UCAs, 285/70/17 NITTOs, KMC HOSS in BLACK
    IMO coils will give a better ride, the coils and spacer is the same process. Go with the AAL it wont cause axle wrap and adds more payload. It's not that hard of a install. You can get 4" on your Prerunner with new spindles.

7. Nov 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Funny you should mention the difficulty of the rear. I've read the instructions several times and the AAL seems like the more difficult part.
    I do have an air compressor and an impact gun and my buddy's gonna bring his coil compressor and give me a hand.

I'm a little bummed that I'm gonna have to just sit on the lift for a couple weeks before I'll have the free time to do the install.

I'll post pics once it's done.

8. Nov 12, 2007 at 9:16 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    I did the Toytec 3" inch lift with the spacer in the front and the AAL.... here are my thoughts:

The front took me about 8 hours in my garage with no help.... the compressing the springs was the most aggrivating part. (i have a small write up with more details) two people should knock it out a lot quicker....

the AAL took about 1.5 hours at a buddy's house. i could not do it at my house because we needed some really big jacks and jack stands. after doing the lift on the front end my frame was too high in the air for any of my jacks. I thought it was a lot easier than the front.

more details are at:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/3630-install-instructions-toytec-lift-kit.html

9. Nov 13, 2007 at 2:20 AM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    for a prerunner i would go with just the spacer, my old supervisor did the toytec springs and his trucks rides just the same on road and even on mild trails. no need to spend xtra money if your really never goin to use it,

10. Nov 13, 2007 at 4:17 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    For what it's worth, I just added the Toytec 2" spacers in front and had the TSB suspension done. It leveled out the truck and lifted it just enough. Toyota even installed the spacers.(for $140)

11. Nov 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've seen some insight into the Toytec install on the 2nd gen Tacomas and appreciate the posts regarding them, but does anyone have any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for on the 1st gen.

I'll be installing the 3" spacer/AAL w/ProComp extended rear shocks and the diff. drop on my 02 v6 TRD 4x4. I know this will be similar to the 2nd gen, but it's not identical as far as the installation process.

thanks guys.

12. Nov 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    the toy tec lift i had before made alot of noise on a 1st gen like the coil must not seat well or something... maybe it was a flaw that is gone by now

Products Discussed in

To Top