Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Carrying the weight...

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
hankgs is on a distinguished road
hankgs's Tacoma Gallery
Carrying the weight...

Hey Guys,
I just bought a "Wincher" bumper from KMA and it weighs in at close to 100lbs. The reason for buying it, is that the stock 2009 Toyota "Tupperware" bumper just doesn't look very stout should I ever (I hope I don't), hit a deer or other vehicle. I'm not planning on mounting a winch, but I'm guessing I could be changing the suspension load on the front end. Question: Should I install just the Bilstien 5100's with the stock coil set up or do I have to get OME shocks and springs...? My off road is limited to minimal rock climbing, mostly just washboard baja roads. The truck is a 4 banger if that makes a diff...
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
Hey Guys,
Question: Should I install just the Bilstien 5100's with the stock coil set up or do I have to get OME shocks and springs...?
Thanks!
You can go either way. OME or Bilstien are good products that are used a lot on this site.

I personally have OME and love it.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the OME springs and shocks. They're more expensive but they're tuned to handle the extra weight. I have some 885 springs that i'm going to put on as soon as I have the money to get the OME shock set to handle the load of my bumper/winch.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get adjustable coil overs. My Icons sagged a little less than 1/4 inch. 2 turns on each co and the ride height was restored. All coils will sag and settle over time and having the ability to dial-in the height periodically is a huge plus. Just my 2 cents. BTW my Kennesaw bumpers kick-ass.